Author Topic: P10 Matrix panels Pi or BBB  (Read 4775 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: P10 Matrix panels Pi or BBB
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »
Mark, post a screen shot (snipping tool) of your LED Panel layout in FPP.

You either have that setup wrong or the ribbon cabling of the P10s (or a combination)

Offline MarkB

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 03:19:31 PM »
I have attached the screenshot... Thanks!

Offline MarkB

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 03:33:25 PM »
...and here is my pixel overlay configuration.

I am testing with the "4by1_test" configuration.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 04:53:25 PM »
Try Top Right

Update - a better answer is, You have this wired as Top Right (looking from the front) but Top Right isn't a drop down choice.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:28:15 AM by JonB256 »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 08:08:34 PM »
Make sure your layout is setup as viewed from the front.  If the panels appear backwards that could be the issue.  On the Pi, FPP supports 12 panels per chain so you are well within the limit.
-
Chris

Offline MarkB

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 11:34:57 PM »
Guys,

The "Top Right" option is only available in the Pixel Overlay Model, but I tried that too, to no avail.

The LED Matrix configuration is set up as my panels are when looking from the front, as I read in other posts... the right-most panel is the first input (P1) and they daisy-chain to the left, where P4 is leftmost.

I still don't understand what I could be missing.  I've played with many of the options and the best configuration I come up with is the one that I provided the screenshots for.  In this configuration, I am not seeing a simple inversion or mirroring of the information.  If I use the Matrix Tools to place a text string as "centered" in the row of panels, the image is displayed as if the panels were wired up as   P4 P4 P3 P2  rather than the expected  P4 P3 P2 P1.

I wonder how this is even possible with the physical wiring of the panels.  Something in the firmware has to be configuring the HUB75 serial data in a fashion that displays this.

What is even more confusing for me is the fact that the display is totally hosed up if I simplify the matrix configuration to specify 4 x 1 with the P4-P3-P2-P1 arrangement using Output1.  Does that make any sense to anyone?

Mark

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 11:53:10 PM »
In matrix tools, you will always want top left or bottom left since that is all the LED panel channel outputs support.

Try configuring for one panel only on output one and run a test.  If you configure only one panel then I believe all 4 panels on that first chain will display identical info, but I have never tested that on a Pi.  If you can display something on one panel correctly then tell FPP you have two panels side by side and see if that works.

Offline MarkB

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2017, 05:57:56 AM »
Interesting....

Testing a 1x1 works fine... so long as the pixel overlay model is also declared as 1 panel in size - I get the same centered text on all four panels.

Testing a 2x1 with a 2x1 pixel overlay model does not work.  In that test, I get parts of the "test" text in the lower two corners of each panel, as if the Matrix Tools or the pixel overlay model was attempting to drive the message on a 2x2 panel array.

I have attached a screen shot of my setup screens in that configuration... can you see anything wrong?

Thanks!
Mark
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 09:30:18 PM by MarkB »

Offline MarkB

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 05:59:44 AM »
Very interesting....

If I change my Matrix Tools to specify the 1by1_test model (without hitting the "Go" button, no command sent to update the displays), the screen represents exactly what I see on my four panels.  (See attachment)

If I flip the selection for the model back and forth without hitting the "Go" button, what I see the Matrix Tool screen show on its pixel array is interesting. 

When the 1by1_test model is selected, the screen shows what the panels show.
When the 2by1_test model is selected, the screen shows what I expect to see (this is what was selected when "Go" was last pressed).

After some more playing with the Matrix Tools, I noticed that the "enabled" state is shown for my 2by1_test model, but all other model selections show "disabled".  I am now beginning to wonder if the Matrix Tools are not enabling the model that is shown as enabled, as if the index for the selection box is wrong.

Could something in the Matrix Tools model selection be confused?  Or am I not understanding the meaning of "enabled" and "disabled" for the model selections?

Mark
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:10:49 AM by MarkB »