Author Topic: P10 Matrix panels Pi or BBB  (Read 4863 times)

Offline JohnW

• Kudos: 0
P10 Matrix panels Pi or BBB
« on: November 06, 2016, 04:37:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

Great forum!

I am new here and would really appreciate some of your helpful advice.

I would like to build a P10 matrix screen made of 320 x 160 modules with around 6 x 6 having a total of 1920 x 960 pixels. using a Matrix such as https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/P10-rgb-SMD-3in1-full-color-indoor-LED-Display-screen-unit-board-32-16pixels-320mm-160mm/701799_866772137.html

I would like to use some video, text and patterns on the screen.

By reading other posts and information on here I was thinking of using the following as this appears to be a popular method.
Xlights
FPP
BBB
Octoscroller
Matrix boards

But I am wondering what the options are by using a pi as below?
Xlights
FPP
Raspberry pi 3 Model B
What controller options are recommended to interface to the P10 matrix boards from the pi?
Matrix Boards

What are the pros & cons between these 2 possible methods?   

I hope this question is a reasonable one!

Thanks.

John

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: P10 Matrix panels Pi or BBB
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 05:10:54 PM »
  For a matrix of that size you have no choice but to use a BBB and octoscroller/octoscrolla. The Pi boards that drive P10 panels are limited to less than 10 panels I think. With a maximum load of typically about 3A per panel you'll need multiple power supplies to handle the maximum of around 100A at 5V.
  I make the octoscrolla boards and have plenty of stock if you're looking for any.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »
https://ronsholidaylights.com/raspberry-pi-matrix-adapter/

You can do 12 panels per output x 3 outputs for 36 boards.  I've only used 4 panels on mine, but they work good.  Was going to try my 16 panel matrix, but did not have cables that would work for that config and I already had a working BBB with Octo so gave up trying the Pi on that one.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 05:43:23 PM »
I believe the Pi has been tested to 36 panels.  There is a video in the forum as well.  I can't remember who posted it though.  :(
-
Chris

Offline JohnW

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:41:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Alan, sounds like the BBB is the way to go especially if I were to add a few more matrix modules down the track. Thanks for the info re power. It would appear that if I used 2 x 5v 70 A units it would be ok?

Jim, Thanks for you help & the link to the pi matrix adaptor. Is there anyway to go beyond the 3 x12 matrix modules? If not then I may be best to go with the BBB octscroller option as mentioned by Allan, just in case I decided to add some more modules at some point.

Chris,
Thanks. I will do a bit more searching for the video.

Also, is the 360 x 160 matrix from Ray Wu of good quality or should I be looking at another supplier. It just seems like a minefield out there with so many suppliers and products. I really want to have the matrix to be able to be placed outdoors - I have found some information on the forum regarding using indoor modules & waterproofing them with a frame and plexiglass - Is this as good as buying outdoor modules? 
Thanks again.

John

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
I learned something too. Last time I played with my P10 Pi hat it was limited to 3 x 3 P10's. I need to keep up with what's being done with FPP it seems.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 08:38:40 AM »
To go beyond 36 panels you would have to use two Pi's and two matrix adapters.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:50:25 PM »
Thanks Neil - really appreciate knowing that the Pi could do more than 36 panels.
How are the 2 pi to be connected so they both run the matrix? Is it a master/slave config? Is it rather complex to set up?
If it were possible then is there any pros and cons between the BB & Raspberry Pi options or are they basically equivalent?   

Thanks again.
John

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »
I've never done two Pis on one matrix and I probably would not since the economics would tilt in favor of a single BBB and Octo.  I would be looking at two slaves since my master is used to run the whole show and sits inside my house with my FM transmitter.  I only mentioned it since I have read of folks who do multiple matrices in xlights and group them so that they look like one depending on any given effect.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 05:41:45 PM »
I have done two RasPi3 P10 panels acting as one panel. See my older post about Frameless Panels http://www.falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=4894.0

This allows me to set panels side by side or stacked and there is no gap. Each runs as a Remote and they have the same Fseq file, created in xlights as a group.

I currently have two identical 3x3 panels and almost done with two 3x6 panels. I could form a very large matrix from those four panels. They are all RasPi 3 driven so they will sync well.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 05:45:42 AM »
Thanks Jim, I think the BBB seems to be the best option.

Great link to your frame build Jon - full of really useful information.

I haven't quite settled with the pitch that I would use. If I were to use P6 panels of 32*32 what would be the panel number limit using the BBB and Octoscroller? Would the 8 panels per 8 outlets (64 in total) half to 32 in total? Or even less?

These panels are outdoor 32*32 P6 - Does anyone know if these are high quality? I understand from other posts that this supplier is recommended.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Outdoor-P6-192-192mm-32-32pixels-1-8-scan-hub75-port-rgb-full-color-LED-banner/103659_32749323179.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000023.1.GYNUPS

Thanks again.
John

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 02:22:30 PM »
I haven't quite settled with the pitch that I would use. If I were to use P6 panels of 32*32 what would be the panel number limit using the BBB and Octoscroller? Would the 8 panels per 8 outlets (64 in total) half to 32 in total? Or even less?

FPP only supports 4 outputs on the Octoscroller when you use 32x32 panels otherwise the refresh rate really goes down.

Also, you need to check on the scan rate of the outdoor panels even if they have the standard HUB75 interface the Octoscroller uses.  FPP currently supports 1/16-scan 32x32 panels and 1/8-scan 32x16 panels.  A lot of the outdoor panels are 1/4-scan 32x16 or 1/8-scan 32x32.  I have an item on my ToDo list to look at adding support for these other panel types, but I haven't wanted to buy a $25-30 panel just to test the code.

If anyone has one of these unsupported HUB75 panels and wants to loan it to me for a little while then it would help me get the support added to FPP for these other scan rates.  It would be December or January before I could look at it though, so I'm not in a rush.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »
Thanks Captain!  Really appreciate your reply which clearly shows that the 32*32 @ 1/8 scan in my link will not be compatible with the FPP. I will need to rethink the total screen size versus pixel pitch - I really wanted at times to be able to display some video from say 8 to 10 metres viewing distance (and further) but with reasonable clarity.

Thanks again!

John

Offline Sulley

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 09:18:34 AM »
Hi CaptainMurdoch,

I have four P6 32x32 1/8 Scan Outdoor LED Panels I can send you if you want to test them with your code. 

Here is the URL to the vendor: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-arrival-P6-outdoor-led-display-panel-192-192mm-1-8-scan-Hub75-3IN1-RGB-led/32632045405.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.KAHRX1

I look forward to your reply.

Offline MarkB

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 02:23:27 PM »
I believe the Pi has been tested to 36 panels.  There is a video in the forum as well.  I can't remember who posted it though.  :(

I have been testing a single row of four panels, and when I scroll text, the text does not appear as it does on the matrix in the FPP.  I am scrolling from right to left.  It appears that the text which should appear on the right most (first) panel immediately does not appear until later, as if the FPP is treating it as the second panel.  In addition, the text on the third and fourth panels appears to be the same.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the Pi limited to 3 daisy-chained panels per port?

Thanks,
Mark