Author Topic: Accessing pixlite on other side of fpp  (Read 1435 times)

Offline ccrowder

• Kudos: 2
Accessing pixlite on other side of fpp
« on: November 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM »
Not sure if this would go here or under the fpp section..
I was wondering if there was a way to access the pixel board that is plugged into the pi ethernet.  This is in regards to setting up the boards universes/channels.  Like many boards (I think) the pixlite has a utility you load and it finds the ip address of the board and lets you configure the outputs.  If I am using fpp on a pi and seeing fpp via the pi's wifi and the board is plugged into the pi's ethernet is there a way to get the utility to find the board?  I guess I am not sure what/how the PI assigns a ip to the connected pixlite and if there is a way to still access that IP from the network side.

Offline markrvp

• Kudos: 7
Re: Accessing pixlite on other side of fpp
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 12:18:48 PM »
Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  The Pi does not assign an IP address to the Pixlite unless you have installed a DHCP server on the Pi.  Also, if you connect the Pixlite directly to the Pi you need to use a crossover cable... otherwise you use a switch and regular ethernet cables. 

So to make sure the Pi and Pixlite are talking to each other, give them both static IP addresses on the same subnet.  Most Pixlites come preset to 192.168.0.50         In FPP, set the eth0 static IP address to 192.168.0.48      Reboot the Pi and it should talk to the Pixlite. 

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:15:19 PM »
You also need to enable IP routing between interfaces on the FPP and then set up a static route on your router (or on your PC if your router doesn't let you add static routes).

I don't have a Pixlite, so I'm not familiar with their config tool.  Can you tell it the IP address of the controller, or does only work in auto-discovery mode?  I suspect the auto-discovery will not work through the FPP even with routing enable and static routes configured.
-Mark

Offline ccrowder

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 02:18:12 PM »
So guess I have a bit more learning to do.  I thought fpp setup the eth0 port with dhcp and automatically assigned an ip to the controller but when I tried to use the test settings at home at lunch no lights turned on.

So from what I gather I need to use a cross-over cable from pi to controller.  But before this I need to manually set the ip of my controller while it is plugged into my home network and then make sure the pi eth0 port is trying to access that ip correct?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:17:23 PM »
You create a dummy network that consists of just your Pi and the controller.  The ip addr will not be anything that is associated with your home network or your show network.  Make something up, for example here is one of mine

Pi
wlan 192.168.1.236
etho 192.168.36.1

controller is now set to the same ethernet network as the Pi etho 192.168.36.2

Be sure to turn on the routing box on the Pi
To access from your computer, you need to add a route from the computer to the controller network.  I have to do this in the computer by running the following command
route add -p 192.168.36.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.236
You run that command from a command prompt and you must run it as administrator.  In windows you can right click on the command prompt shortcut and select run as administrator or in Win 10 right click on the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

Have fun
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline ccrowder

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 11:04:24 AM »
Thanks for the info.
Quick question on setting up the route.. Would it be better to add it into the router's static route table instead of at the PC?  I guess if I am using the same computer for all my stuff it should not matter.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 08:10:34 PM »
I would say the router would be better, my show router does not allow a route command to the wifi so I did it in the two computers I use.

Works fine.

Offline tmarshall

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 04:26:06 AM »
Good luck being able to access a PixLite on a different subnet.  Routing or no routing. I have had no success, and I even emailed Advatek back in April.  This is Luke from Advatek's response:

In the more recent version of the Advatek Assistant software it does automatically discover controllers outside the computer's subnet, as you've probably seen. This is designed primarily to help people who haven't configured their computer or controller's IP settings correctly.

It does show an error message and allow the user to remotely reconfigure the controller's network settings (so it's inside the same subnet as the PC), allowing the user to easily recover and connect to the controller.

Technically this discovery protocol could be extended further to allow full configuration from a remote subnet (as opposed to remote network setting only). However - we are unlikely to do this. This is because 99% of the time having the controller in a different subnet is a mistake and can stop the controller receiving the lighting data it needs from the PC. *Your situation is obviously a little different, because you're never sending lighting data off your PC's subnet*

I think for now you may need to just need to either keep your PC on the the same subnet as your lighting network so it can be configured via the Assistant, or set up and configure all your controllers on the PC network and then actually run them on the other network for the show. 

I actually run mine on a subnet behind an FPP, but to do configurations with their Advatek Assistant, I have to be on the same subnet that the PixLite is on.  To make things easier, I installed a switch on that subnet. With the switch in place, all I have to do is change the subnet of my notebook, plug it into the switch, and now, I can access it via the Advatek Assistant.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:35:30 AM by tmarshall »