Author Topic: Advice on basic stand alone Pixel Controller  (Read 3103 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Advice on basic stand alone Pixel Controller
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 02:29:31 AM »
Todd, yes you are on the right track.

Lance,  read what Todd said. :)  On the Channel Output screen, when you create the RPIWS281x channel output, you specify the # of pixels on each output and the channel count is automatically calculated.  Set the Start Channel for the channel data and no E1.31 config is required unless you are using FPP in Bridge mode.

It's that easy.
-
Chris

Offline Jonnyb44

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 01:53:11 PM »
. The pi cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neyy

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 12:21:35 AM »

Hi everyone,
(WARNING: total newbie question but I understand that 1 pixel= 1 RGB LED = 3 channel)

I have a WS2812B LED strip and Raspberry pi 2 B. I am planning to use Vixen 3 to create a sequence and upload it to FPP. I want to ask if it is possible to use the RPIWS281X output channels and connect three physical WS2812B led strips on the pin-outs of the RPIWS281X.

I saw that there is only two data strings for RPIWS281X output, does this mean that only two physical led strips can only be manipulated by the FPP? And did someone already experience using the PiCap and output a sequence with music?

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:55:59 AM by neyy »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 01:15:29 AM »
I have a WS2812B LED strip and Raspberry pi 2 B. I am planning to use Vixen 3 to create a sequence and upload it to FPP. I want to ask if it is possible to use the RPIWS281X output channels and connect three physical WS2812B led strips on the pin-outs of the RPIWS281X.

I saw that there is only two data strings for RPIWS281X output, does this mean that only two physical led strips can only be manipulated by the FPP? And did someone already experience using the PiCap and output a sequence with music?

The Pi only supports 2 WS281x outputs because it only has two PWM outputs which are being used to drive the pixels.  It can support up to 800+ pixels on each of these outputs though.  You can daisy-chain your LED strips and use power injection to feed the second in a chain if you need to connect more than two strips.

Offline neyy

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 01:27:39 AM »
Thanks captain, but what about the music processing? does it use PWM too?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2016, 01:29:49 AM »
Thanks captain, but what about the music processing? does it use PWM too?

Yes, this is why using the RPIWS281x Channel Output automatically disables onboard audio.  If you need audio and WS281x output, you will need to use a USB sound card.