Author Topic: Trouble programming my F16v1 (FPP>FPD)  (Read 5037 times)

Offline txag2008

• Kudos: 0
Re: Trouble programming my F16v1 (FPP>FPD)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 08:23:58 AM »
Last year I had issues properly programming my F16v1 and the resolution was that I had the wrong firmware on my FPD. I was able to program my F16 and the show went great. Now Im wanting to reconfigure a couple color orders and Im not able to reprogram my F16.
  • Through using the Falcon Controller Software, whenever I click 'Program' the blue LED on my FPD and a blue LED on my F16 dont light up and my connected pixels dont blink/flash as they should.
  • I'm using Falcon Controller Software v1.2.3
  • I have Universe 1&2 selected within software and the jumpers set to Universe 1&2 on the F16. On the FPD I have the jumper on 'Test 1'.
  • My FPPD is version v1.8.62.  Ive tried programming with my FPPD mode in standalone and in bridge mode.

2015 settings

2016 settings

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 08:51:32 AM »
Is your F16v1 running the latest firmware?  (v1.0.2  from 2014)  I don't know of a way to check that other than reflashing the PIC, though. (I looked through last year's posts and it looks you probably do have the latest firmware on your F16v1, but a reflash to be sure might be good)

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=9

and definitely try another CAT5 cable. Seems to be a rash of bad cable problems this year.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 09:09:50 AM »
I am not familiar with FPD but I had similar issues when I had something like XL running in background causing IP conflict. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline txag2008

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »

Is your F16v1 running the latest firmware?  (v1.0.2  from 2014)  I don't know of a way to check that other than reflashing the PIC, though. (I looked through last year's posts and it looks you probably do have the latest firmware on your F16v1, but a reflash to be sure might be good)

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=9

Thanks for the quick reply Jon.  My F16 is from last fall's co-op that was already pre-built and pre-programmed so I'm not entirely sure what firmware it has.  I'd like to think that since I was able to program my F16 last year that all of my firmwares are correct. 

and definitely try another CAT5 cable. Seems to be a rash of bad cable problems this year.
I'm able to play sequences from my FPP, use the 'display testing' feature within the FPP, & play from Xlights (when in Bridge mode) so I've been leaning towards the issue not being with the cable.

I keep thinking I'm forgetting some small thing or have something wrong with my configuration that's failing me...

Offline txag2008

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »
I am not familiar with FPD but I had similar issues when I had something like XL running in background causing IP conflict.
Interesting.  I know I've had XL also open when trying to program but there have also been times when XL is closed.  I guess it could be my firewall or something of that nature, but if that's the case I wouldn't think that I'd be able to successfully output (not program) to my F16.

Offline t.jo13

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »
Try reflasing the pic. I had one of my f16v1s last year that would not accept any config changes or blue light as you stated unless I flashed the pic again . Then it worked great.

Offline txag2008

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »
Try reflasing the pic. I had one of my f16v1s last year that would not accept any config changes or blue light as you stated unless I flashed the pic again . Then it worked great.
I'll be trying this evening to do so.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 06:19:00 PM »
I managed to program my F16 today, but I cheated.  Took a 4 -port hub along with an ETD and power supply where all have been mounted on a board for portability and went outside with my laptop.  Also was able to configure some SSCs with the same setup.  I just got tired of trying to go thru the Pi and not understanding why it did not work.  We need a good writer on the FPP team to document this stuff.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline txag2008

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 04:13:43 PM »
Last night I flashed my F16v1, but programming it still failed.
I then reflashed my FPD, but programming still failed.

I then decided that my settings of the programming tool had to be an issue.  I moved my dip switches from 0 to 1 on the F16 and left the jumpers at Universe 1&2.  Within the programmer I moved the address from 0 to 1 and then changed to just Universe 2.  With these settings in place I was able to successfully program my F16. 

After, I changed the Universe to be 1&2 in the programmer and tried to program but it didn't work. 

Ultimately my F16 is operational and I was able to change the color order of my outputs as needed, but I still don't have a real good grasp and confidence in the whole process.