Author Topic: Programming F16v1 connected to a F16v2 on separate show network  (Read 1284 times)

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 181
Programming F16v1 connected to a F16v2 on separate show network
« on: November 14, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
UPDATE: Don't do this, David told me about a much easier way noted in my reply #2...   :)

I ran into something last night while setting up my controllers for this year.  In previous years I haven't used a dedicated show network because I was using only Pixelnet and DMX so my 3 FPP systems were talking together over my home network.  This year I'm adding a F16v2 out in the yard so I'm now creating Pixelnet out in the yard instead of in the garage on a Pi w/ FPD.  I didn't want the E1.31 traffic on my home network even though it would be unicast on a switched network.  So, I created a separate show network using a spare WRT54G running OpenWRT.  Then I went back to controller setup and tried to program one of my F16v1's which is hanging off the Pixlenet output on my F16v2.  And it hit me....  The Falcon configuration utility only allows sending multicast E1.31 or talking via FPP.  Multicast wouldn't make it onto my show network and I didn't want to move the F16v2 back to the home network just to program the F16v1's.

Using FPP v1.9, it is now possible to program a F16v1 or F8 connected through a FPP system without needing a FPD as indicated in the configuration utility.  This means that I could tell the config utility to program via unicast packets to the Pi on the show network and the Pi would send E1.31 to the F16v2 which in turn sent that data out the Pixelnet interface to the F16v1.  Problem solved.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 02:56:55 PM by CaptainMurdoch »
-
Chris

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
Re: Programming F16v1 connected to a F16v2 on separate show network
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »
Very nice....too bad I don't need it now.  I just ran a really long cable so I could program my F16v1s :)  Good to know for next year.

Do have one question....what is the "send sync packets to F16v2" checkbox on the multicast page?

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 181
Re: Programming F16v1 connected to a F16v2 on separate show network
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 02:55:34 PM »
Updated method, use this instead of the method described in the original post.

After a little more testing, I ran into an issue with the F16v1 going AWOL and requiring a power cycle after programming via this method.  I talked with David and he informed me that there is an undocumented feature in the F16v2 which allows it to act like the Pi/FPD combination.  So, instead of entering the Pi's IP address in the Falcon Configuration utility, you still set the option to FPD, but you enter the IP address of the F16v2 itself and now you can program through the F16v2 even when it is on another network.

The 'send sync packets to F16v2" setting is for a new feature that David is working on for the F16v2 to allow the F16v2 to act like a FPP Remote and play sequences off its microSD card.  The F16v2 is using a broadcast packet with a CSV version of the sync data.  Some users may not want broadcast data on their network, so this is an optional feature disabled by default.