News:

LATEST RELEASE:  FPP 6.3 - Download from here - https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/6.3

+-+-

+-User

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

+-Site Stats

Members
Total Members: 15658
Latest: CharlieOhio
New This Month: 8
New This Week: 2
New Today: 2
Stats
Total Posts: 128426
Total Topics: 15790
Most Online Today: 68
Most Online Ever: 7634
(January 21, 2020, 02:14:03 AM)
Users Online
Members: 3
Guests: 24
Total: 27

Finally - Up and Running!!!

Started by kmc123, November 15, 2016, 04:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmc123

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd take a minute and post some progress info and pics!

I have run a very large Vixen / Renard / AC light show in the past (6 years in a row) and had to take a break for the last 2 years.

This year the plan was to get back in full bore with all pixels and Pi's - The plan was cut back due to job related stuff, but I did just get one mega tree up and running along with 2 3x3 P10 displays.

I have a master Pi in my office and 3 remote Pi's - 1 on each matrix, and 1 on the mega tree with my new PiCap!

Here are a few pics:

Mega tree layout

Mega tree matrix laid out on the garage floor to test.

Enclosure (I was going to use plastic ammo cans but they were too small - Got this idea from someone here)

The guts  :)

The Base

From the front

Cubs Logo on the tree

A little farther back...

I have a short test sequence I put together, but I'd love it if someone would share some good Mega tree sequences with me - Anyone???

kmc123

If there is a trick to resizing these images let me know - Looks like it shows them full size...

rstehle

Hey Kevin, looking good man!!  I knew you would be one to jump in to Pixels with both feet.  Long time, no talk.
Best Regards,
Randy

kmc123

Hey Randy - Great to hear from you!
I had HUGE plans that got a bit sidetracked :)   
I'm using this year as a learning experience with the pixels.
Do you know how to resize images here???

jnealand

I resize my images in a photo editor before I post them.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

kmc123

Hmmm - Most other sites I go to it's either automatic, or at least adjustable...

Oh well - I guess I'll resize them prior to posting from now on.

daKEEBLERelf

Hello,

Total NOOB here, never done a display before. I'm starting my plans to make a small mega tree this year (16 strings, 50 pixels each. I was planning to use the F16 controller, as I did not think the PiCap could handle the amount of strings I need. Obviously that is not the case.

Your pictures are helpful, but I'm wondering if you could help me out a little more with some of the hardware and how it's all connected together? More specifically splicing the power injection in the middle of the strings. I'm planning to use 12V strings of 50 pixels each.

Thank you!

CaptainMurdoch

Quote from: kmc123 on November 18, 2016, 06:39:16 PM
Hmmm - Most other sites I go to it's either automatic, or at least adjustable...

Oh well - I guess I'll resize them prior to posting from now on.

In some cases, it is better to attach the image to your post so that it is uploaded and doesn't disappear later if you clean up your web/image hosting account.  Attaching will automatically show a small thumbnail in the post and readers can click the thumbnail to view the full size image.

For inline images loaded from an external site, you can add a width or height parameter to the img tag as documented here:  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Img

Here is an example and how it looks on the page.

[img width=320]http://i.imgur.com/KlB5Mbl.jpg[/img]

-
Chris

jnealand

Quote from: daKEEBLERelf on January 09, 2017, 11:59:27 AM
but I'm wondering if you could help me out a little more with some of the hardware and how it's all connected together? More specifically splicing the power injection in the middle of the strings. I'm planning to use 12V strings of 50 pixels each.

Try this
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

daKEEBLERelf

Quote from: jnealand on January 09, 2017, 01:06:41 PM
Try this

So considering the added cost from the connectors for injection and the boards for power distribution, I'm estimating a $100 savings vs using the F16. Would you say the savings are worth it for someone new to the hobby or would the ease of using an all-in-one solution compensate for it? Does a zig-zag pattern add any complications when programming?

garyh

Quote from: daKEEBLERelf on January 09, 2017, 02:21:01 PM
Quote from: jnealand on January 09, 2017, 01:06:41 PM
Try this

So considering the added cost from the connectors for injection and the boards for power distribution, I'm estimating a $100 savings vs using the F16. Would you say the savings are worth it for someone new to the hobby or would the ease of using an all-in-one solution compensate for it? Does a zig-zag pattern add any complications when programming?

It depends on what hardware you have and how you are running it.  Best to start a new thread vs taking this one over.

AAH

Nice build and post kmc. I would be putting a fan on 1 of the 2 vents myself. Without forced ventilation having the 2 vents which are at the same height won't provide any cooling. It's probably a fair bit cooler than the 30-40C temps that we have here in Aus over Xmas but with 2 power supplies in the enclosure it would be good to get rid of the heat. If the 2 vents were at different heights then a little bit of convection cooling would occur but when the inlet and outlet are at the same height there's no opportunity to rely on the "hot air rises" principle.

Support FPP

+- Recent Topics

Unable to update RPi 5.5 to latest version by JonB256
February 05, 2023, 07:23:16 PM

help getting started, next step? by rayster
February 05, 2023, 04:24:09 PM

Warning/Error: Network incomplete frames hit 250. by darylc
February 05, 2023, 04:06:58 PM

F48V4-NS at 40 fps using all 48 pixel output ports? by darylc
February 05, 2023, 03:59:37 PM

F48v4NS - Pi or No Pi? by joeyblasko
February 05, 2023, 09:15:33 AM