Author Topic: Receiver Board Power Question  (Read 719 times)

Offline tmarshall

• Kudos: 3
Receiver Board Power Question
« on: November 15, 2016, 06:38:58 PM »

I have a questions about the receiver board power.

Can I run the receiver boards off of 12V, and then connect them to 5V lights with the positive from the receiver board to the lights disconnected and with a 5V power injection source in its place? Is the Data voltage the same when running 5V as it is when running 12 V?

I tried it, with a string of three test pixels, and it seemed to work fine, but before I start wiring everything up, I thought I would ask if there is anything detrimental in doing this? I would hate to burn up thousands of pixels.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
Re: Receiver Board Power Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »
Yes, the data voltage is always 5v for the pixels we normally use.  You can mix 12v and 5v pixels if you do your power injection to each set properly breaking the positives but connecting the grounds and data.

Why do you want to run the receiver board at 12v but the pixels at 5v?  You could run the board at 5v as well.
-
Chris

Offline tmarshall

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:49:57 PM »
Because I have a bit of distance to go between props, and I have about 40 of them not counting the two Mega trees, roof lines and window lines. I get too much voltage drop with 5V. I either need a lot of smaller power supplies all over the place, lots of low AWG wire, or higher voltage and buck converters.

When I started this, I was planning on using 12V pixels but then decided to go with 5V after I bought a bunch of 12V power supplies, so in part, I am also trying to use what I have on hand.

Thanks for the info!

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »
Because I have a bit of distance to go between props

OK, I just wanted to check to make sure you knew the board itself can run at 5V.