Author Topic: First show 'failure'...  (Read 627 times)

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
First show 'failure'...
« on: December 17, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
Well, had the first show failure tonight.  I don't count the one pixel out of 1800 which refuses to show blue.  But the wife conned me to go out for a run and as we left the house I noticed one of my four strings on the eves was flaking out.  I should have grabbed a quick pic, but imagine:

From the controller end, the first half of the string is out / dark, but as it progresses toward the non-controller end, it starts picking up a few nodes of random 'sparkles' of the two main colors it should be displaying.  Then as you get closer to the end, more and more nodes are lit until it's almost 'normal' at the very end (completely away from the controller).

I got to the hub and did the 'jiggle test', then even moved that controller to a different hub slot.  No Joy.  So headlamp on and up on the roof I go.  I grabbed the pipe bomb and gave it a little shake...presto - the string comes to life.  More jiggling, shaking, banging, and the string stays on.  Pull it apart, jiggle the wires, look for signs of water, etc - nothing - string still works fine.  Put it all back together (the big test) - all still working fine.

Guess I'll have to keep an eye on it give it a closer look after the season is over and I get it down off the roof.  Likely a loose wire or cold solder joint somewhere!
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
Re: First show 'failure'...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »
If you have a spare, program it on the bench to be the same nodes, channels, configuration and just go pull it.  Nice thing about those pigtails!

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
Re: First show 'failure'...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »
Dude, I have a lots of failures of the 3 core connectors that sounds like this.  No direct shorts or failures but intermittent weird stuff that plugging back in cures.  I estimate 25% failures. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653