Author Topic: SSC Programming...  (Read 1804 times)

Offline pk

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 1
SSC Programming...
« on: December 18, 2013, 01:05:10 PM »
To avoid disconnecting my SSCs when I need to program the starting channel using the Falcon SSC firmware, I dumped and saved the code for a controller I programmed to start on channel 1.  I programmed all of my remaining controllers with the dumped version of the code (meaning they are set for channel 1).  Using the configuration utility, I connect them to the hub one at a time and reprogram their starting channel - the is no need to disconnect the SSCs.  Perhaps David could massage the code and have channel 1 be the default in a future release.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
Re: SSC Programming...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »
Channel 0 would prob be better - you could actually have something on channel 1.....?

Tony

Offline pk

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 01:37:57 PM »
Tony -  I see your point but in my display I have "reserved" the first 512 channels for DMX.  I really don't care if I write to a DMX channel while programming a SSC.  I just wanted a way to program 1 SSC rather than all that are on the hub.  Having a known channel programmed into the SSC solved this problem for me.

The Falcon SSC firmware is great.  I had accidentally set grouping to 10 on a couple of my controllers.  I was able to correct them without climbing on the roof to set a jumper in the "program" position using the configuration utility on a computer in my office. 

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
I see your point...

But to cover both PixelNet and DMX - i think a channel 0 for default in the firmware file is a better idea?  And the SSC util would know about channel 0 as a 1st time program.

Tony

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 02:13:52 PM »
Does the configuration software support 0 as a starting channel?

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
Its something that could be easily added in 5 min

Tony

Does the configuration software support 0 as a starting channel?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 197
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 02:28:48 PM »
Channel 0 would prob be better - you could actually have something on channel 1.....?

I like the idea of using a valid channel number to allow initial data testing of a new SSC
without having to actually program a start channel.

How about 4096?  It would allow basic testing of the SSC with freshly applied firmware,
but it would also be out of the way of any normal SSC start channel usage.  This also
has a lower likelyhood of being used than '1' since it would be 'R' if your channels were
RGB from 1-4095 on Universe 1.

I haven't used the utility yet, but as I understand it, there are 2 programming modes currently,
"all SSC's" or "only SSC's configured for a specific start channel".  Maybe we could have a 3rd mode
called "all connected but unconfigured SSC's".  This mode would only affect SSC's which
were running stock, unconfigured firmware where the start channel was set to the default of
0 or whatever was chosen.
-
Chris

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »
Just curious - is there any way a SSC can be programmed with a unique 'serial number' which it would have from then on....regardless of channel number?  Then the software could send code and the SSC would only 'listen' if it was that S/N?
Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
Just curious - is there any way a SSC can be programmed with a unique 'serial number' which it would have from then on....regardless of channel number?  Then the software could send code and the SSC would only 'listen' if it was that S/N?

Interesting. I would need to think what to do if chip and software get out of sync.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com