Author Topic: Newbie Setup Instructions  (Read 7171 times)

Offline TMerk

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 6
Newbie Setup Instructions
« on: November 19, 2016, 08:37:10 PM »
Here's a list of the steps I used to set up my new PiCap. Hopefully this helps someone new to this like I am. I found it extremely simple and I am no where near an expert in pixels. Anyone feel free to add to this or correct me if doesn't look right. This is basically the order I used and it's assumed you have the FPP up and running successfully. Also, I set this up on a new Pi and had no sequences loaded or outputs named.

The PiCap arrived with a battery for the RTC, the connectors for power and outputs, standoffs with screws to mount to the Pi, and all the jumpers required.

1. Power down the Pi if it is running
2. Install battery into the slot with + facing up.
3. Install PiCap to the Pi's gpio pins.
4. Install standoffs and screws.

At this point, decide the power options you need. There are 6 pins with jumpers below the gpio pins and to right of the 2 amp fuse. The first 2 pins below the gpio pins power the Pi from the PiCap so you don't need a wall wart(very handy) so install a jumper there to power the Pi. The next 4 pins below that are for the power supply voltage being used. Jump pin 1 & 2 and also 3 & 4 if you are using a 7-24volts supply(the PiCap regulates the voltage required to power the Pi) or jump pins 2 & 3 if you are using a 5volt power supply(This is what I used because I have 5volt pixels).

5. Attach wires from the power supply + and - to the 2 position connector and plug it in(+ and - are labeled on the PiCap).
6. Attach pixels to the outputs. V+, data, and gnd to corresponding leads on the pixels(PiCap can run up to 800 pixels per output with power injection).
7. Place the 3 jumpers above the rj45 jack where you need them(DMX, LOR or Renard).
8. Plug in the power supply and your Pi will start booting and a green light will come on on the PiCap.
9. Once booted, bring up the FPP UI and go to the "Input/Output Setup" tab and select "channel outputs."
10. In the channel outputs menu you will see 4 options, choose "other."
11. Hit the add button and under "select type" choose "RPIWS281X." Here you can enter the amount of pixels per output and the channel start and channel count. I used a string of 50 pixels so I entered 50 pixels on channel 1 and a start channel of "1" and "150" for channel count.
12.Check the box under "Act" and click the "save" button.
13. Reboot the FPP using the button towards the bottom of the page.
14. Once the FPP is back up, select the "status/control menu" and select "display testing."
15. Under channel range I used "1" for start and "150" for end.
16. Click "enable test mode" and scroll down to RGB patterns and hopefully you have lights like I did!

Good Luck,
Todd

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Newbie Setup Instructions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »
No one has given you an attaboy, so I'm doing so now..

Nice work!! :)

Tory
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline TMerk

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 08:32:33 PM »
Thanks Tory!

Offline FIRECOP252

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »
Good Job Todd!!! Looks great!
LANCE

Offline Kosm925

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:25:31 AM »
How is the config/time settings suppose to be set for the PiCap? NTP = Disabled? Real Time Clock = RasClock or PiFace?

Thanks, great write up TMerk.

Offline TMerk

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 07:34:13 AM »
How is the config/time settings suppose to be set for the PiCap? NTP = Disabled? Real Time Clock = RasClock or PiFace?

Someone correct me if wrong but it should be the DS1307 option with NTP disabled then reboot and go back in and set the actual date and time.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 193
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 09:56:22 AM »

Someone correct me if wrong but it should be the DS1307 option with NTP disabled then reboot and go back in and set the actual date and time.

This is correct.  The reboot is needed to load the kernel module for the RTC, then you can set the time to set the time in the RTC.
-
Chris

Offline michaelc

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 09:58:22 PM »
Where in the PiCap do you configure the Ren/DMX/LOR output? I would think you need to specify which universe you are sending.

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 05:39:40 AM »
Where in the PiCap do you configure the Ren/DMX/LOR output? I would think you need to specify which universe you are sending.

I have not used that feature of the PiCap yet but I would assume you set it up in the other tab just like you would for the FPP but select a output.

Offline michaelc

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 06:07:04 AM »
I would have thought so as well but all the options there discuss sending data out the USB ports to DMX or REN dongles.  How do I sent DMX data out the port on the PiCap and how does that get configured?

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:54:45 AM »
I would have thought so as well but all the options there discuss sending data out the USB ports to DMX or REN dongles.  How do I sent DMX data out the port on the PiCap and how does that get configured?

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6087.0.html

This shows the DMX, but Renard would be the same sort of setup.  It's under Outputs, in the 'Other' tab.  Pretty sure you get Renard OR DMX, not both at the same time ??

Offline Asylvest

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 08:25:03 AM »
I'm sorry, I think I don't mean to be dense....

BUT -- I'm having difficulty.  Please help!

Heres' the setup:

FPP on a Pi3 is the show controller, it is hooked to an WRT54G router, which is hooked to a e1.31 to DMX bridge, which runs most of the show.   

I have a Pi2 with  a piCap running FPP1.8 hooked via ethernet port to the router as well, and I can see it and interact with it through the web browser.   I can put it in "test mode" and the pixels attache to the PiCap respond.

HERES MY PROBLEM...

I can't seem to get it to respond to the show controller.

I have tried the show Pi as master, and the PiCap as remote, and multisynced them.  No matrix
I tried e1.31 and made the piCap  its own unverse, multicast.   No matrix

I'm not sure what else to do -- and I feel very foolish asking because I'm sure it is very obvious (to everyone but me).

So -- noob alert -- how do I arrange to have the 450 pixels attached to the PiCap computer respond to the master Pi, both are running 1.8 and both show test pattern when put into test mode...but no response to each other.

Please help!

Offline skulltronix

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 03:23:01 PM »
I'm not getting power from the picap to the pi.  I have the first two pins closest to gpio jumped. Im using 5 volt pixels and power supply so pins 2-3 are jumped.  All works ok when usb power is plugged into pi.

Help!

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 03:59:23 PM »
I'm not getting power from the picap to the pi.  I have the first two pins closest to gpio jumped. Im using 5 volt pixels and power supply so pins 2-3 are jumped.  All works ok when usb power is plugged into pi.

Help!

Having pins 2-3 jumpered connects the 5V source to the bottom of fuse directly. The 5V goes over the fuse and is directly connected to the bottom pin of the 2-pin jumper next to gpio connector. When you jumper that is connects directly to pins 2 and 4 of gpio pins. Please check for five volts along that path.

If the power light is on you know you have power on the other side of the fuse.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline skulltronix

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 07:57:18 PM »
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. Which power light?  No lights at all!