Author Topic: Octoscroller brightness adjustment and refresh rate optimization  (Read 706 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
Octoscroller brightness adjustment and refresh rate optimization
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:45:39 AM »
For those who like to live on the edge and run LED Panels on the BBB via an Octoscroller, I just committed some code you might like to play with.

This has only been committed to the master-v1.x branch which can be accessed via the developer.php page.

I just committed code which adds a couple features for users of 32x16 panels:

- Expose the LEDscape brightness setting in the FPP UI.  This allows you to set the Brightness of your HUB75/P10 panels in the Channel Output config.  The code supports values 1-7 with 7 being the highest, so that is the range exposed in the UI for the BBB.  The Pi library we use supports a percentage, but on the BBB we're a bit more limited due to the PRU code structure.

- Add an optimization in the PRU code to only drive up to the highest configured output.  If you only configure outputs 1-4, then your refresh rate should be a bit higher since we don't bother driving outputs 5-8 with data.  This theoretically would give a near doubling of the refresh rate, but I haven't done any scientific testing.  My iPhone thinks that the refresh rate is better because I didn't see the black bars as much when testing with only 2 outputs being driven instead of 8.  Eventually I'd like to further optimize and only drive the required number of panels per output, but that is a much more invasive change and would not yield much more improvement so it is a lower priority.

I am currently running these changes on the BBB driving my 30-panel matrix.  If these work out for me and others that may test, I may roll these into v1.9 after Christmas.
-
Chris