Author Topic: Can someone check my wiring please for PiCap  (Read 957 times)

Offline FIRECOP252

• Kudos: 1
Can someone check my wiring please for PiCap
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »
OK,  about to pull my hair out lol.  So what Im doing is using the PiCap to run a pixel tree this year.  I have 16 strings of 50 2811s total 800 pixels.  I have power injected every 100 pixels and using the picap the data is connected continously from picap to end of pixel strings.  To make sure I have enough power I have 400 of the pixels on one PS and the other 400 on another one(both 30A).  To fuse the power injections and Pi I am using DPitts Distrubution boards(one on each PS).  I am powering the PiCap off one of the distro connections and the data is coming from the output A on the PiCap. 

Now when I power it up I get all kinds of weird things sometimes the pixels will light up random and sometimes they wont do anything.  The first pixel always acts like it is getting data and understanding but nothing else does.  Any ideas of this is a ground issue or data issue or anything else.  I try using the tester in the Falcon player and it only shows on the first pixel so I am figuring at this point I am looking at wiring issues and not programming issues. 

Here is a picture of how I have the tree wired.  Thanks
LANCE

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
Re: Can someone check my wiring please for PiCap
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 11:21:33 AM »
You need to have a connection between the ground on one power supply to the ground on the other power supply.

Do you know if the Pi was rebooted after enabling the RPIWS281x channel output?
-
Chris

Offline FIRECOP252

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 05:34:38 PM »
Capt,

When you refer to the grounds between PS's are you referring to the AC grounds or the DC grounds? 

Also yes it was rebooted actually a few times afterwards.  Each time I tried something different I rebooted.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
DC grounds need to be connected. Not having them connected can disrupt your Data line (it needs the ground return, too.)

The AC grounds should be common through your house wiring.

Offline garyh

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
DC grounds, the V- only.  Do NOT connect the V+.

That sets the ground at a common reference, which keeps the pixels from seeing various differences in voltages between power supplies which generally causes random pixel lighting.