Author Topic: SSC v1, v2 & v3 Build Question  (Read 4558 times)

Offline ron

• Developer
  • Kudos: 0
SSC v1, v2 & v3 Build Question
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »
I believe I have some of the v1 and v2 boards that I have not modded to v3.  If it was you, what would you do to boards?  Leave them as v1 and v2 or mod them to v3?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: SSC v1, v2 & v3 Build Question
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »
I believe I have some of the v1 and v2 boards that I have not modded to v3.  If it was you, what would you do to boards?  Leave them as v1 and v2 or mod them to v3?

I would most definitely mod them to version 3. If you do not you need to leave the jumper on to use Falcon SSC v1,2,3 firmware.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:26:35 PM »
Thanks David.  This will be my after Christmas 1st project, I believe.

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »

I would most definitely mod them to version 3. If you do not you need to leave the jumper on to use Falcon SSC v1,2,3 firmware.

I also agree most definitely mod them to version 3, on Sunday was able reprogram 32 set SSC v3 under 20 mins   8)
Jerry Plak

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 65
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 09:34:49 AM »
Mod to V3.  I took my time before starting that project, but once I go the first one done the rest were easy.  I did make all the little jumper wires for the remaining  2 - ?  so that I did not have to stop and make the wire.  I tinned the ends and which made it easier to get them connected.  I also put a multimeter on the top end of the resistor to the second pin of the pic as a check to make sure I got the trace cut.  I used a meter that buzzes and checked before and after I cut the trace.  Falcon firmware is great.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »
So what was the original purpose of the mod to v3, I can't remember.  Does it make the SSC function better?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 117
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 12:44:47 PM »
They had the output on a different pin. Moved it to another pin and changed the output resistor.

sent from my Galaxy Note

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 02:02:15 PM »
So does the mod make a big difference in performance of the SSC?  I seem to remember the resistor on the v1 was the same after the mod.  I know we changed it for the v2 boards. 

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »
So does the mod make a big difference in performance of the SSC?  I seem to remember the resistor on the v1 was the same after the mod.  I know we changed it for the v2 boards.

The problem with v1,2 is that the pin used to output data was a pin that could not drive data higher than 3.3 volts. The chip in pixels is expecting 5 v. So this was not good. The mod Corey made fixed this by using a pin that allows the ability to use as an open drain pin. This made the pin able to drive at 5v. Also the resistor he added reduced ringing. Th mod 3 was similar.

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
Thanks for the explanation David. Now to make the mods.

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 10:36:10 AM »
Here is a link to the original documents I prepared.  (Disregard the red "NOTE" about the firmware... Falcon firmware now works perfectly with this mod)

http://coreyonline.tripod.com/Warp_Drive_mods_for_ALL_V1_or_V2_SSCs.pdf

This is what RJ's mod was based from.  You can use either his method or this one to arrive at the "V3".  My method is fairly simple and reversible (if you ever did want to go back to an earlier version) - his has you cut some traces so it's permanent.  Though I think at this point the mod is fairly well proven to work. 

The last couple of pages show how the data is changed by using an appropriate pin on the PIC.

Corey
 2018 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op - pending May-June 2018.  Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 11:21:33 AM »
Corey,

I've been using RJ's SSCv3 physical mod (cut trace, jumper) and David's firmware.  Is that the optimal solution?

How would RJ's SSCv4 with David's new firmware compare to the v3 option?
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
So is the 180ohm resistor still the preferred value?  I thought DLA said to use a 330.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
So is the 180ohm resistor still the preferred value?  I thought DLA said to use a 330.

If you follow the mod Corey just posted you will be good to go. I have modded 80 SSC's that way and have not had any problems.

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »
On the resistor - I think DLA does say 330 - I don't know why RJ is stuck on that value and we obviously can't discuss the technicalities.  The value is not 'super critical', but to detail where it comes from:

The PIC is working with a 5 volt square wave.  The PIC pins are rated for 25mA maximum and this resistor theoretically limits the current through the line.  Though in reality, the node data input is a high impedance, so it really only has an 'inrush' current not a continuous current flow in the classic sense.

But to keep things 'safe' I just assume the PIC is 100% on and to give the best data we want to be as close to 25mA as possible.

So:
5V / 330 ohms = 15mA (works but may lead to 'weak data' with some nodes)
5V / 220 ohms = 23mA (works well - a good alternative)
5v / 180 ohms = 28mA (about the maximum you want to run, but good, strong data, should work with the widest range of nodes, widest conditions, while still being 'safe' for the PIC)

So in summary, 220 or 180 ohms is (IMHO) a good choice for the resistor.

As far as V3/V4 option.  To state clearly:  I have not tested a formal V4 board.  I have bread boarded one for myself out of 'V4' components just to see how it works.  My impressions from that:

Instead of using the MOSFET in a classic 'power driver' sense, it's configured as a logic level shifter. (The PIC used in V4 has no 5 volt capability at all, even though it's still hammered on by the 5V from the RS485 transceiver and the 5V from the level shifter)   However, the issue we've known since V1 is that while the data line on the nodes is 'theoretically' a logic level input, in the real world, it does take some power/current to get a nice square data wave.

From what I've seen on the scope with my bread board (fully admitting this 'may' be different on the formal board) - the V4 logic level shifter is still having trouble supplying a nice strong data signal to the nodes.   I would say it is in the category of 'it will most likely work, most of the time, with most nodes' - though if you have nodes which need a little stronger data, have a bit of moisture, or a slightly longer than average lead wire, you might run into some issues.

I would still contend a 'V3' mod (whether you choose my or RJs method) with a 180/220 ohm resistor will provide the strongest data signal available.  The V3 with a 330 ohm resistor is probably second.  The V4 seems to 'work' though the PIC is being hit with 5V signals which it's not designed for.  The V1 isn't terribly usable and the V2 is even worse...bottom of the list.

Hope this helps.