Author Topic: Controller  (Read 968 times)

Offline spaulgal

• Kudos: 0
Controller
« on: November 27, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »
Hi All--
[/color]
[/color]I'm new to these parts...
[/color]Pretty excited to be entering the wonderful world of RGB pixels!
[/color]I currently run a lightshow for my church and we purchased 1000 pixels as we plan to dip our toe into RGB this year.
[/color]
[/color]I run the lightshow part and we currently use LOR equipment and nearly 100,000 lights. There are also other things for guest to do while visiting us other than the lightshow... so we have a Christmas music loop playing over a PA (typically about 2 hours long, sourced from a PC) I HOPE to design a "tree lighting" every hour on the hour, synced to music. The music for the tree lighting will play every hour, so twice in the loop.  That Tree Lighting would be the only time during the music loop when there are actually synced RGB lights with music. During the rest of the loop, the RGB's will be just dancing along randomly for lack of the better description.
[/color]How can I achieve this??
[/color]
[/color]Also, I'm a programmer by trade and a decently quick learner, but because time is so short I'm wondering if someone can give me the best controller solution? We purchased 12V WS2811s, and there is general consensus around the Raspberry PI, but the controller is something I'd love a primer on. Preferably a kit ready made with PS.
[/color]
[/color]Looking forward to getting my feet wet with this stuff!

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Controller
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:42:28 PM »
The chances of getting a ready to go kit with power supplies to suit will be pretty slim. With 1000 pixels you're going to need 2 12V 360W supplies. As far as i know Advatek Pixlite is the only off the shelf unit with power supplies etc and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 2 360W supplies in it. 1000 pixels is pretty easy to achieve and can be done with an F16V2 (see pixelcontroller.com link at top of page), Pixlite 4 or 16, J1 Sys P2 or P12 or 1 of several Pi capes/hats.

Offline spaulgal

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 11:31:21 PM »
What's the generally consensus on the Sans Devices e682 vs Pixlite 4?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:25:15 AM »
Well since you are on the Falcon website, I recommend the Falcon F4V2 :) which is pretty good.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 05:56:58 AM »
What's the generally consensus on the Sans Devices e682 vs Pixlite 4?
My vote between the two is pixlite. However, to add to what Dave said, the falcon is better than both combined. I just swapped out a pixlite with a falcon. Weird things were happening that I couldn't explain. After I swapped out, everything works like it should. You get better support from Dave as well. If it says out of stock, be patient. It's worth the wait. Not a day goes by that someone asks how to do something, like add a null pixel in the middle of string. Most times the answer given is, not possible with your controller, should have bought a falcon.

James

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk