Author Topic: PiCap, Vixen, and Passthrough  (Read 1107 times)

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
PiCap, Vixen, and Passthrough
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:03:09 PM »
I have need to activate the pass-through feature for testing to see if I have channels properly set in Vixen.
First attempts at this have not been successful.

The setup is a PiCap on a fPi/FPP v 1.8.  I'm connected via Ethernet from the laptop to the Pi.  This is a good connection as I am able to access the FPP's web interface.

I thought the only thing we had to do was go into the advanced feature of the FPP settings, and activate it.  The system then asks to restart FPPD.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any and all information.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
Re: PiCap, Vixen, and Passthrough
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:04:08 PM »
A couple of things that I feel need mentioning.

The rPI/FPP PiCap feed a DMX stream only via the serial/RJ45 that is on the PiCap.  There are no pixels directly connected to the PiCap.

There does not seem to be a method in Vixen 3.2u2 to tell it where this PiCap is.  There are no IP settings (that I can find) under the configure tab for Open DMX.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:39:08 PM by algerdes »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:02:23 PM »
You don't need the network bridge setting in the advanced settings page, you want to configure E1.31 universes and put FPP into E1.31 bridge mode then send E1.31 from Vixen3.

Create the desired number of universes in FPP, switch FPP to bridge mode using the dropdown box on the main Status page, and configure matching universes in Vixen3 and then you should be able to send data from Vixen3 via FPP.
-
Chris

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 05:43:43 AM »
So, to be clear to this unclear mind - the PiCap works like other controllers in that it will take the E1.31 stream and convert it to DMX (and out the DMX port) - even in the bridge mode?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 12:01:13 AM »
So, to be clear to this unclear mind - the PiCap works like other controllers in that it will take the E1.31 stream and convert it to DMX (and out the DMX port) - even in the bridge mode?

The PiCap provides a hardware interface to take advantage of the existing Channel Output code in FPP.  These chanel outputs can be driven by any of the following:

- sequence data from a FSEQ/ESEQ file
- E1.31 data when FPP is running in bridge mode
- data from FPP's Pixel Overlay code
- FPP Channel Tester data

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 06:47:28 AM »
Thank you for clearing that up. 

I'll setup my Vixen with an E1.31 controller instead of a DMX controller.  In this way, I can test using the bridge mode, then export should not care which it is.

It is making sense now.