Author Topic: 3D printing  (Read 851 times)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
3D printing
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
Finally took the time to create a couple cases for my bbb.  Just need to tweak a little more but pretty happy with the results.

Offline vincerules

• Kudos: 2
Re: 3D printing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:57:31 PM »
nie job, looks great!

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:32:34 PM »
My wife hates trying to think of what to get me for Christmas because I typically don't want anything and I don't like getting crap I don't need, but this is something that I've had in the back of my mind for a while now. I have an extra DLA USB DMX Dongle without a case and thought it would be interesting to make one.

Any quick suggestions and/or recommendations on what printers or software (presumably open source, because I imagine that 3D printing more about "community" than "commerce") to get started? I suppose I can Google it, but I was wondering about the opinions of some people here.

Offline vincerules

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 01:43:23 PM »
My wife hates trying to think of what to get me for Christmas because I typically don't want anything and I don't like getting crap I don't need, but this is something that I've had in the back of my mind for a while now. I have an extra DLA USB DMX Dongle without a case and thought it would be interesting to make one.

Any quick suggestions and/or recommendations on what printers or software (presumably open source, because I imagine that 3D printing more about "community" than "commerce") to get started? I suppose I can Google it, but I was wondering about the opinions of some people here.

Monoprice printers are pretty popular for the price point. A lot of printers come with Cura, which is free software made by Ultimaker. That software is the slicer which converts a 3d image into 3d printer code. If you are talking about software to design 3d objects for printing I like Autodesk Fusion 360. It's free and powerful. You can also use tinkercad which is an online version. There is many others but that's a good start.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
I'm currently using the maker select i3 which is essentially a wanhao duplicator i3 clone.  Great community behind them and can't beat the price for what they can do.  I myself did use cura but upgraded to simplfy 3D for easy of use and some of its advanced features.  The thing I tell people you have to be a tinker to 3D print, don't expect your print to come out the first time, you're changing things to "fine tune it"

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:01:29 PM »
Well, I was while I was doing my own "independent" on-line research, I remember seeing in the past that filaments for 3D printers were sold on Monoprice, so I went there and looked at some of the printers.

As it turns out, you guys use them as well.  :D

I get a sneaking suspicion that 3D printing can turn into yet another expensive hobby.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »
Yes and no, once you have the printer the filament itself isn't bad considering what comes from it.  But yes it can because you want to upgrade 😜

Offline ccrowder

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »
Another maker select 3d user here.  Love the thing and have made tons of stuff (usually boxes =p).  Another upvote for fusion360 too.  Once you get the hang of the sketches to make precise components works really well.  On the printer depending on what you do there are some quick easy mods that make it a lot better so you can end up with a very nice machine without to much cash.

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:12:20 AM »
The Sunhokey Prusa i3 is decent.  Takes some time to assemble and dial in the settings, but decent quality for the price.

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »
Another maker select 3d user here.  Love the thing and have made tons of stuff (usually boxes =p).

I assume there are pre-made plans for DLA USB dongles floating around the net?