Author Topic: Rectangle node frustration  (Read 670 times)

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
Rectangle node frustration
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:24:35 PM »
So I have the classic stars and for 4 seasons I had them as dumb stars with dumb rectangle 50/50 nodes.  Worked great minus  lots of cords and hardware setup.  So switched to smart rectangle nodes, everything worked great and then one rain fall and blam failures left and right.  These nodes have literally have only been outside 7 days with one rain vs the others were outsides for months through rain feet of snow and not a single failure.  I had to replace 4 out of 24 so far....what is everyone doing to better waterproof these guys because they have pretty bad performance so far.  I have one idea but looking for other ideas.  Pic for reference of the failure (not 100% filled obviously)

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 48
Re: Rectangle node frustration
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 07:39:42 PM »
Are you sure that it is the node that is the issue.  That damage looks like excess current draw or a possible short between the data line and one of the power leads.  I plan on using a bunch of these next year for Halloween and they may be subject to water contact and would have a hard time replacing them in case of failure.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »
Yep it's water damage, you can tell there are parts that are not covered by the epoxy very well.  These all ran great for 6 days and happen to fail after the rain we got.  Most likely shorted because of lack of epoxy and the water being a conductive spot on those points.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 117
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 10:03:46 PM »
My metal squares were better when I rubbed CorrosionX over the surface. Not perfect but better.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 08:15:38 AM »
Sorry to read of this.  I have a love hate relationship with these.  Had similar issues and they also very power hungry.
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3518.msg38034.html#msg38034
http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=13212.msg168707#msg168707

I'll let you guys debate on suppliers/chip sets/etc, but I think it doesn't matter and these and the square modules are best used when protected inside something watertight and not directly exposed.  I think bullets and strips are best for direct exposure.  If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that temperature related stress is the real culprit at least for me in the cold.  These modules are really quite bright and that allows you to cover them without much light loss.  The square modules in my zwilluminariesTM are 5 years old whereas I had losses in props with direct exposure in one season.  I think most props could be protected with a single layer coro face and I think this diffusion makes them look better.  IE use the coro tool and separate the faces, cut your prop oversized a few inches, fold this over the rear and hot glue.  You will need to cut places to allow the folding.  Hit corners/gaps with silicone.  If you are against diffusion use the clear coro.   
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »
Yeah I can't say its the vendors fault at all.  I liked them in my column (protected by coro) and honestly didn't think I'd have an issue until right after the first moisture (rain).  I can't say its temp related because we have actually been really lucky so far with temps, only dipping down into the 30s at night but sunny and 50s with some 60s in there.  Unusual fall......I'm sure winter is going to hit us hard and quick now that I said that.

But with that said, I don't 100% like it but my fix for now is like you mentioned to "protect" them some more.  So I'm in the process of putting a coro face over the stars.  Not 100% waterproof but will take out 99% of the direct contact.  My other props with rectangles and squares have been going strong without a single failure but then again those are all protected behind coro.

Oh well lesson learned, wouldn't be a lighting season without something happening. :)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »
I agree the cover doesn't need to be 100% waterproof. 

Offline w8one

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 04:25:41 PM »
Silicone is the answer. silicone 1 has a 12hr setup time silicone 2 has a 30min setup time.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Silicone-II-10-1-oz-Clear-Silicone-Window-and-Door-Caulk/3084963
Quando omni flunkus moritati