Author Topic: Running both a 5 and 12v channels from the same pi cap...possible?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline blk69

• Kudos: 0
Newbie here, first display.  Have mostly 12v pixels, have a 200 pixel 5v matrix would also like to use.  Am planning on circuiting my 12v power supply to the pi cap (not powering pi from this power supply) and running all my 12v stuff from output 1.  Would like to take the data output of channel 2 and run to my 5v matrix.  Would have a dedicated 5 volt power supply circuited to matrix only (not connected to the pi).

Will this work?  Not sure how the data signal is defined with respect to the power supply's ground.  Was planning on connecting the 5 and 12v grounds together.  Anyone else doing something similar?

Offline blk69

Re: Running both a 5 and 12v channels from the same pi cap...possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 09:58:56 AM »
Looks like no one else has tried this.  Will have to experiment this weekend.  Will let you know how it goes.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
Yes, you can run one string of 5V and one string of 12V pixels.  Just don't connect the 5V string's power to the Pi, but do connect the ground and data lines.  This will tie together the grounds of the two power supplies and give the 5V string a common ground reference with the Pi.  The PiCap works the same as any other controller in this regard
-
Chris

Offline blk69

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
Got a chance to experiment.  Was able to get it working.  Couple of things I learned trial and error.

1) Whatever voltage you are powering the cap with make sure the jumpers (4 pins by the fuse) are jumped to match.

2) You need to tie the grounds of the power supply feeding the cap and the one powering your display together. 

Really not to complicated.  Could see application where using remote power supply(s) of same voltage the same way (cut done on voltage drop, cable costs, etc.)

Thanks Captain for the help.

Offline Cjlocey

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
I learned the hard way to make sure to have your jumpers placed properly.  I now have a nice looking Pi 3 paperweight after using 12V and having the jumper set to 5V.
Running display on pi's with picaps.....no controllers
Some said it could not be done!  4245 pixels and growing!
xLights & FPP - marriage made in pixel heaven

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »
The next version will not have a power jumper to select between 5V and 12V. It will except both without jumper.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com