Author Topic: Flickering!!!!! Help....  (Read 2762 times)

Offline FIRECOP252

• Kudos: 1
Flickering!!!!! Help....
« on: December 03, 2016, 03:04:31 PM »
Ok so I have messed with this half of the day and I am about to the end of my wits.   I am using a PiCap and running 800 pixels(16 strips of 50)  the strings are made up to 100 ct. strings and power injected each 100.  I am using 2 power supplies and all is connected correctly.  Here is my issue....

when  I run effects in Xlights certain ones look just fine, but some make half of my tree flicker.  I thought it was a connection issue but i can put some effects and it runs just fine,  then I will put something like butterfly and the first half looks just fine but the second half just starts flickering constantly.  now I can put bars or snowflakes and it looks correct.  Anyone know what I am doing wrong or what is going on? 

I am very close to calling it quits with it....very frustrated.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Even considered putting half of the tree on 1 output and the other half on the other to see if that would help but not for sure how to set that up.  Thanks in advance.
LANCE

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: Flickering!!!!! Help....
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »
Please post a diagram of the wiring.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 05:34:53 PM »
Here it is.  I have triple checked things just dont understand what the deal is.

Offline fyb2000

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »
the ground from the first distro board should keep going with the data and merge with the ground of the second distro board before the second half of your display.
How far is the first pixel from the PI, and how far between the 2 set of strings?

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 07:26:19 PM »
the ground from the first distro board should keep going with the data and merge with the ground of the second distro board before the second half of your display.
How far is the first pixel from the PI, and how far between the 2 set of strings?

Not sure I am understanding your first sentence. And the first pixel is about 5 ft from the PI.  I am using a Picap and they are zigzagged for a total of 800 pixels connected end to end for the data.

Could you explain the first sentence a bit better?  Are you saying the distro boards should be  connected with a common ground also?

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:29:02 PM »
currently it looks like you are having only the data wire connected between the first string and the second one. Add the ground wire also, and merge it with the ground going in the second string from the second distro board

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 07:37:53 PM »
currently it looks like you are having only the data wire connected between the first string and the second one. Add the ground wire also, and merge it with the ground going in the second string from the second distro board

So are you saying that the grounds between the 2 PS's is not enough,  The strings are grounded every 100 pixels back to the distro board.  So connecting the grounds on the distro boards might fix the issue.

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »
currently it looks like you are having only the data wire connected between the first string and the second one.

Sorry, just understood what you were saying here.  these are 50 ct strings connected with the factory connections so the power, ground, and data are all connected at the 50 mark.  Yes at the bottom of the 100 yes the data continues to the next string and there is a power injection at the bottom of every other string.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 07:45:38 PM »
what does the connection between the first set of 400 lights and the second set looks like?

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 07:48:49 PM »
what does the connection between the first set of 400 lights and the second set looks like?

All 800 are connected together.  The data is a continuous line from the first pixel to the last pixel with power injections every 100.

I will try to draw it out real quick.

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »
here is how half of it is.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 08:00:16 PM »
But specifically, between pixel #400 and pixel #401. It seems that is where you are seeing an issue. For pixel #401  where are each signal coming from?  Ground, data and positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 08:04:23 PM »
But specifically, between pixel #400 and pixel #401. It seems that is where you are seeing an issue. For pixel #401  where are each signal coming from?  Ground, data and positive

Data is daisy chained from pixel #400 and the ground and positive are from the second power supply.  But the funny thing is I can run simple effects like a 2 color spiral and it all runs fine but if I try something complex like butterfly it starts flickering about half the tree.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 08:14:48 PM »
Try to also bring the ground from pixel 400 to the next string, and merge it with the ground of the second power supply before going to pixel 401. If that is where you are seeing your issue start (from pixel 401 onward) there is a chance that it is your problem.

Offline FIRECOP252

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »
Ok.   I will try that and see.   It has started raining so I will give it a shot tomorrow.   Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk