Author Topic: Zues 16 with Falcon FW  (Read 2830 times)

Offline lburnham

• Kudos: 0
Zues 16 with Falcon FW
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
Hey everybody. I'm in the process of moving from dla equipment to falcon. I have a zeus 16 that I want to continue to use but with the falcon firmware. I flashed all the pics seemingly with no problems but the zues isn't working. To limit my tail chasing when the zues is successfully programmed after flashing with the falcon fw does it flash the strings attached to it's outputs similarly to the dla fw? Also I'm using a serial dla pixelnet dongle is that permissible? I have the jumpers set for the 2nd pixelnet universe and the program jumper in, but have tried it out with no joy either. I'm sure the answer to these questions are on the forum somewhere but I haven't been able to find them so thanks in advance for your help!

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
Re: Zues 16 with Falcon FW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 10:21:46 AM »
Yes, it flashes when successfully programmed.  I think you can use the serial for multi universe but I always found it wonky.  Programming with ETD was always better for me.   To use serial I think you need to use univ 1 AND set channel numbers accordingly.  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3427.0.html  Surely you at least tried the "secret Falcon test mode" to make sure the lights are connected correctly?   ;D

Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline lburnham

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 02:02:44 PM »
Hey thanks! I'll check that out tonight after work. I don't think my firmware flash worked because the test (program) jumper did nothing. I really appreciate your help.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
Since I did the beta for SSCv4 I will be the first to tell you that chip is a cheeky little bugger known for not taking programming and also for losing it's programming to low power.  Test mode is probably my most favorite thing about Falcon! 

Offline lburnham

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:23:45 PM »
Well I have used the zeus one season and during that one season it had to be flashed/reprogrammed multiple times. I'm almost to the point of giving up on it and using a different controller for my tree. I was hoping the falcon firmware would stabilize it some. I'm currently using the pi and fpp to run my show this year and so far it's been great. So much better than the other stuff. Anyway I do appreciate your help.

Offline pokey

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 06:13:12 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  Had issues with my Zues and am attempting to transition to Falcon.  I pulled the 16 PICs and programmed with firmware #3 (at the time, I assumed it was the latest release,but now understand it's how you address the board).

I've attempted to send programming via the Falcon Controller Software and my Ether Dongle and no love.  I set the "Program" jumper on the Zeus board and no test blinky.

What am I missing?

Offline arw01

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:18:53 AM »
I left my Zeus's in the shop this year, went to Falcon with differential board to replace it and just did power injection to run 880 pixels of 3 outputs.

When I programmed my Zeus pics, I pulled the pics and put them in SSC V4 did them one at a time. 

Sam is correct you need to set the hub to network 1, and the Zeus to network 1 to do the programming and you use the 1-4096 as the address, do not use any higher numbers.

When you change the jumpers on the sending hub to the higher universe and the jumpers on the Zeus to the pixelnet universe is how it will get to the higher channels.  I had a lot of head scratching over that one.

Offline pokey

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 04:57:10 AM »
I'll pop the PICs and attempt to reflash everything using the network 1 image later today.  I'm going on the assumption that my Zeus is still in fighting shape since last season, but so far, though the power LED turns on, I've seen no evidence of life.  If that comes up short, I've got a Zeus 8 on my bench which I'll give a whirl.

At least my basic Smart String show is active, so my wife isn't leaning on me too heavily...

Offline lburnham

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:06:29 AM »
I'm not having any luck getting the zeus to program with my pixelnet dongle so I will attempt the etherdongle tonight. The test pattern works however so that's encouraging. Thanks you guys for all your information it really does help.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 10:33:16 AM »
Something I should mention.  I think alot of the power issues are actually from using the thin china wire to hookup and not so much the power supply itself.  If hook up is short (4-6' in my testing) you should be fine but if longer, use 18ga.  IE the problems is when someone runs 15' china wire from zeus to a 128 pixels and it works OK until a few longer all white displays on that string and then all a sudden power is too low and WHAMO! pic loses programming.  I will say while it was a little frustrating flashing the pics to convert to Falcon due to the chip/programmer weirdness, once it took it was rock solid.  Also from memory, when the v4/zeus pic was not taking programming, I needed to restart my PC to get it to take. 

Offline pokey

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 04:43:14 AM »

I gave up with my existing Zeus 16 v1 and dug around in my basement and found the parts for my second unassembled one.  Programmed the PICs with the Falcon firmware and bam!  Worked first try!  I'm a believer!

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »
Is there a test function on the Zeus like the SSCs?

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 01:48:50 PM »
Of course!  However, it's secret and unfortunately your post count is too low for me to reveal it to you (and it is absolutely not in any way, shape, or form like how to get the SSC into test mode using the program jumper ;D

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 11:23:28 AM »
 ;D