Author Topic: Future Features / Support for pixel types  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
Future Features / Support for pixel types
« on: December 05, 2016, 03:45:33 PM »
In the future, will the PiCap be able to support other pixel types like the GECE? -  Being that you can source these locally, and putting a piCap on a indoor tree, would be nice to be able to drive these pixels without needing the F4v2 controller.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Future Features / Support for pixel types
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 02:01:04 AM »
If someone writes a library to drive other pixel types then they may be supported.  Right now the only pixel types which FPP can drive directly are WS2801 and WS281x.  I found a library which will support APA102, but I haven't had a chance to integrate it yet.  It will require a different pinout though, similar to the WS2801.  I think that the library supports 16 parallel strings of APA102 or WS2801, so again, that's another difference.  Once I add support for that library I wanted to talk with David about it.  I'm not sure of the max pixel counts per string supported by the library though, I still need to do some research.
-
Chris

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 09:55:13 PM »
I have heard that the current versions of the GECEs have changed and are no longer hackable for use with controllers as they have been in the past.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 09:43:22 AM »
I have heard that the current versions of the GECEs have changed and are no longer hackable for use with controllers as they have been in the past.

I have 2 sets of GECE this year from LOWES, that I hacked and using in my office as additional holiday inspiration lights.

I'm going to get a starter kit of the Phillips Illumiate at Target. they have them at 30% off right now. Because they look a lot like regular lights, that was my inspiration to put on our trees next year.

We will be replacing our trees next year. They are both > 10 years old. One white and one green. They are falling apart and fading really well. The white one might as well look like the dog peed on it last year! just kidding, he did not, but the white is yellowing.

Offline michaelc

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 02:41:59 PM »
If someone writes a library to drive other pixel types then they may be supported.  Right now the only pixel types which FPP can drive directly are WS2801 and WS281x.  I found a library which will support APA102, but I haven't had a chance to integrate it yet.  It will require a different pinout though, similar to the WS2801.  I think that the library supports 16 parallel strings of APA102 or WS2801, so again, that's another difference.  Once I add support for that library I wanted to talk with David about it.  I'm not sure of the max pixel counts per string supported by the library though, I still need to do some research.

Do the PiCaps now support WS2801 5 V?  I didn't think they did yet.  My understanding was that is an after christmas thing.  My workaround is to use the DMX port out to a small DMX Pixel driver board to run a universe of Ws2801's

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
Do the PiCaps now support WS2801 5 V?  I didn't think they did yet.  My understanding was that is an after christmas thing.  My workaround is to use the DMX port out to a small DMX Pixel driver board to run a universe of Ws2801's

FPP supports 1 WS2801 Channel Output, but the PiCap does not support WS2801.  The connectors are only 3-pin and the WS2801 output uses the SPI output on the Pi and the WS281x support uses the PWM outputs so they are on separate pins.  There is a board designed by the library author that supports 16 WS2801/APA102 outputs on the Pi, but it uses SMD devices, each port is not individually fused, and it isn't available in any COOP or store.  I thought about talking with David about making something like a F16-P similar to the F16-B, but I don't know that the demand is there for it really and it would be limited purpose, for WS2801 or APA102.