Author Topic: LINSN software info  (Read 852 times)

Offline Unibits

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 3
LINSN software info
« on: December 10, 2016, 06:07:20 AM »
I have a need to repurpose my P10 matrix (8 panel by 8 panel matrix - 64 panel) for other purposes at other times in the year.  I have been asked by a couple of our clients to use the matrix as seen in the Christmas show on their live dance recitals and other events.

I had access to half of the linsn hardware from a friend so I ordered the receiver end and tried to configure.  It asks for 2 files.  THe CON file which I think is pretty self explanatory but the RCG file has me bewildered. 

I was told by Roger Aubachon that a few people had used LINSN with some success.  He advised that Jon Chuchla of Vixen lights had some success with the package.  I sent him a pm on DIYC just before I saw he joined the falcon team. 

I am wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions on the package that may help us get this running.  I think in a live environment this method will be more flexible for our needs

Dance schools have a myriad of stuff they want to use with the matrix... A great way to recoup some of the xmas budget!

Thanks everyone

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: LINSN software info
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 07:57:07 AM »
Jon hasn't joined Falcon, he   Is using FPP as a way to play remotely triggered video on a Tune To sign.  He is also here so he can participate in discussions on suggested FPP features and how to better integrate FPP with Vixen3 in the future as we work on FPP v2.0.

He does have some experience with these boards and brought some to the Christmas Expo with him this past summer.

These boards are the best way to drive lots of data to the panels but since a lot of users aren't video experts the current method of sequencing as a matrix helps somewhat.  I do have some sample code from adafruit that will let us play a video on the Pi and have that displayed on the P1 panels, but I haven't had a chance to integrate that code into FPP yet.

None of that really answers your question but I wanted to get a little more info out there.

I think there are a couple FPP users who have experimented with these boards so maybe one of them can chime in.
-
Chris

Offline Unibits

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 3
Re: LINSN software info
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »
Chris

thanks for taking the time to help out... Basically, I have everything configured from a hardware aspect.  I just don't know how to configure the "back end" of the LINSN platform.  There is a hidden config page that sets up the TX and RX cards so that each end knows what to send to each other.  The TX card is configured based on the RX config from what I understand. 

The RCG file is the way that the platform knows how to use the LED panels.  I can find lots of info about what it does but not how to configure it.

The P20 panels originally came from Ray so I sent an email to him.  I am waiting to see what info he has for me.  Perhaps that will be all I need.

I was just looking to see if anyone had any experience that they could share with me

Thanks again

David