Author Topic: Odroid C2  (Read 1115 times)

Offline afremont

• Kudos: 0
Odroid C2
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »
Any chance that a PiCap would work on the Odroid C2.  I know that it's quasi-compatible with the Pi in terms of hats/shields/whatever you want to call them.  What I don't know is if the PWM is available on the proper pins (I think this is how the Pi does things fast enough).

I ask because I really like the C2 hardware and it's gigabit network ability and higher raw performance at a very competitive price.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
Re: Odroid C2
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 03:06:09 PM »
I do not recall that a version of FPP was ever made for this device.  Talked about, but not made and the hardware is different enough that it was more work that no one had time to do and dwindling interest after the Pi3 became readily available.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline afremont

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:33:49 PM »
I guess the noobs disk might be some work, but I don't know why FPP wouldn't run unless it's a 64 bit issue.  After Christmas, I'll spend some time compiling FPP for Ubuntu.  I think someone has already done work on that.  I am curious if the C2 could drive the picap, even if it can't simply plug onto the board header.  I know very little about the specifics of the picap though.  Gigabit Ethernet that isn't sitting on a USB hub seems a useful thing in the scheme of all this.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 12:33:56 AM »
FPP should compile fine on Ubuntu, I do most of my development on Fedora actually then I test on the Pi and BBB.

The rpi_ws281x library that we use will probably not work directly on the C2, you might want to check into that first.  I have a C1, but it is running MotionEyeOS right now.
-
Chris

Offline afremont

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:38:20 AM »
I started looking at the code for that library.  I might be able to figure it all out, time will tell though. 

I think in the long run, the C2 (or some future variant) stands a chance of supplanting the pi, at least in the home entertainment (Kodi) media environment.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 06:28:55 AM »
So I looked at the specs a little. Faster processor, more memory, faster Ethernet. Sounds good, but it seems like everyone here in FPP world wants to run their FPPs via Wireless, so the faster Ethernet seems wasted (unless, perhaps it can run on the same Subnet as wlan0, saving a lot of the Routing mess involved with dual (dueling) subnets).

As far as processing speed and memory, current CPU usage is always <10%, usually closer to 2%, and RAM usage is minimal.

Bottom line for me is, I'd probably buy one to play with but currently don't see any reason to "upgrade the fleet." I do appreciate people looking ahead, though. :)

Offline afremont

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 07:17:31 AM »
I don't know about everyone else, but my Pi2 running FPP is wired to the network for reliability and glass smooth control of my light controller.  I generally choose to use a network cable whenever it's possible.  Besides, my house is like a Faraday shield and makes it difficult to have reliable wifi access outside.  Next year, I may try locating FPP outside with my Falcon controller(s), but only using the wifi to upload sequences etc  I might try out one of the pixel sticks to see how smoothly they run light sequences, but I'm quite picky when it comes to the timing being right on the nose. To me, the biggest pain is all the power injection that has to be done, a few network cables don't bother me.  I'm using an RP32 do drive some AC lit mini-trees and 4 differential Falcon receivers driving most of my lights, so I have a fair amount of Cat-5 running around the front lawn.

I don't know from personal experience (because I don't have a Pi3 yet), but I've read that the built in wifi on the Pi3 is pretty lacking when it comes to power output.  Adding wifi to a C2 is the same as adding it to a Pi2, so to me that's a wash.  The built-in wired gigabit on the C2 is capable of reaching close to gigabit throughput.  I don't like the way that the Pi2 makes a USB device out of the network controller.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Pi 2.  That said, the C2 is a barn burner compared to the Pi2 in real world use.  That I know from personal experience with both of them.  The C2 still has a few wrinkles in it's infancy, but they're smoothing out over time.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
Like most things wifi on the Pi3 is dependent on your environment.  I have 5 Pi3s in my yard including one way over on the side of the house and they all connect up great.  I do keep a show wifi router in a closet that is on an outside wall on the front of the house vs my house router that is in the basement.