Author Topic: "Bad" pixel/node  (Read 984 times)

Offline esolo

• Kudos: 0
"Bad" pixel/node
« on: December 13, 2016, 04:04:13 PM »
Another noob question more to confirm than anything. If I have one pixel on a string of 100 that is acting funny, aka when it should be blue its white, when it should be green its off and when it should be red its actually red. Im assuming the green is dead and I need to replace that pixel. Seems straight forward but before I do it, I want confirmation because its in the highest most annoying spot to reach and I would rather not solder at that location. But if I must then I must.

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
Re: "Bad" pixel/node
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:35:42 PM »
I use butt connectors with heat shrink.  Makes yard repairs much easier.  You can prepare the pixel inside then just splice it in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Offline vincerules

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:53 PM »
whichever way you use, just make sure the data is going in the right direction when you splice it in.

Offline esolo

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 05:21:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Im thinking about just leaving it there until I bring down the lights.  ???  I got a late start and put everything together and up on the house in a couple days. Im hurting right now. LOL!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »
Been there done that.  but the butt connectors with a node prepared ahead of time makes it much easier.  I even do the heat shrink of the node side before I start the repair and then once crimped I test to make sure all is well and then finish the heat shrink.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline esolo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 06:02:32 PM »
Ive been using the connectors with solder in the middle and just torching them until solder melts and the two sides are wrapped tight.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/10pcs-Lot-Waterproof-Solder-Seal-Heat-Shrink-Butt-Terminals-Electrical-Crimp-Wire-Connectors-with-Soldering-Sleeve/2051604163.html

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:40:24 PM »
For "field repairs", I've had much better luck using:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8R5KRG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

than any of the crimp or solder things, likely cause my hands get too cold to do anything right.  Strip a small amount of wire, shove them in, pinch.  The silicone gel keeps the water out.   

Offline esolo

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 06:49:38 PM »
Cool, Ive never seen those. Luckily in SoCal its not very cold.  8)  We usually have a sunny xmas.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 08:09:51 PM »
I would take a look at your definitions on the controller.  It's hard to get white without all three colors and a fried green should not turn the blue to white.  A fried green should show the other two colors fine and white should look purple without green.  Sure, it could be a damaged chip in the node and if your controller has a test mode, turn it on and see what you get, independent of show files or FPP.

Offline esolo

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 01:18:28 AM »
You're absolutely right. When I tested the pixels directly through xlights using different colors, all was good. Then I tried playing a sequence and all hell broke lose. My mapping is way off and the noobie smell is stinking up the place. LOL! Back to the drawing board. Ugh!