Author Topic: 3 degrees, and still running...  (Read 1004 times)

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 88
    • KulpLights.com
3 degrees, and still running...
« on: December 16, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »

The weather last night dropped real cold, it's currently 3 degrees out side.  Last year, that would have locked up at least two of my BBB controllers, even with the little 5W heaters I had in the cases.  This year, since I switched them all to the red industrial version and SanDisk "Temperature Proof" SD cards, every single one of them (5 of them) is running along just fine.  :)

I'm much much happier this year. Not a hick up so far.

So, next year I'll be expanding a few things.  Any chance of having another run of F16B expansion boards?  Maybe an updated F4B layout with serial that works without losing ports?  :)

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
Re: 3 degrees, and still running...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
I have mine in the house, glad to know might have to go to the heavier duty BBB out there.  Having trouble with my Pi B and video, have ordered a HDMI to composite adapter from Amazon to test out with a BBB instead.  If that works it will up in the attic where it's close to those temps and hopefully the projector will keep it warm enough!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: 3 degrees, and still running...
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »
Any chance of having another run of F16B expansion boards?  Maybe an updated F4B layout with serial that works without losing ports?  :)

I plan on looking at the BBB PRU code to see what I can do about leaving all string ports enabled while serial is enabled.  I think I can do this by reducing the amount of data being read by each of the two PRU programs, but won't have a chance to look at it until next year.

I have mine in the house, glad to know might have to go to the heavier duty BBB out there.  Having trouble with my Pi B and video, have ordered a HDMI to composite adapter from Amazon to test out with a BBB instead.  If that works it will up in the attic where it's close to those temps and hopefully the projector will keep it warm enough!

FPP does not support video output on the BBB currently because the main use of BBB's was for the F16-B/F4-B and Octoscroller which both conflict with the HDMI output.  I believe we should be able to create a version of the PRU code for the BBB which allows leaving the HDMI port enabled and I plan to look at that sometime, but then we have to tackle the issue of a video player which will probably be the harder part.  We need something we can adjust the speed on to keep it in sync and it needs to support hardware accelerated playback on the BBB.  I haven't even begun to look at this, so I don't even know what options are out there.  Video on the BBB is a low priority though, behind a lot of other things that are being worked on for v2.x.
-
Chris