Author Topic: Bad string, where would YOU start?  (Read 2298 times)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
Bad string, where would YOU start?
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:27:10 AM »
I have a string of 4 square modules that are not responsive at all even test mode.  AB'd with another line and same result.  The 2 modules in the middle are lit constantly.  They have been in service a few years so it's probably wear and tear.  These modules are spliced a few feet apart and simply replacing is a PITA so I would like to try and minimize the work.  Since this affects whole strand I am leaning towards starting with the connector.  Never had constant lit issues just color off or dead ones.  Is that maybe a short?  Maybe test the connector for that/continuity between holes?  Thoughts before I start hacking away? 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Dave N

• Kudos: 0
Re: Bad string, where would YOU start?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:26:29 AM »
You know it's the most PIA one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:28:59 AM »
Definitely would be a good idea to start with a connector. I bought a batch of 3 wire connectors from creative lighting displays that I've had nothing but trouble with. (I think I was just lucky to get a bad batch).  So start with the simple stuff like the wiggle test to find any broken connections. But my bet is that you have a bad pixel (possibly the first one) from your description

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 05:34:10 AM »
You know it's the most PIA one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Of course! but hoping I am wrong  ;D

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 05:38:23 AM »
Definitely would be a good idea to start with a connector. I bought a batch of 3 wire connectors from creative lighting displays that I've had nothing but trouble with. (I think I was just lucky to get a bad batch).  So start with the simple stuff like the wiggle test to find any broken connections. But my bet is that you have a bad pixel (possibly the first one) from your description

I should have posted but no dice on the wiggle test.  I also tried that in a few different areas with no success either.  Leaning on bad first pixel too (and it's the PIA one).   ;D

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 10:23:18 AM »
I've found that most of the 3 way waterproof connectors ... if pulled hard ... even if by a wire stripper or out in the yard ... don't work afterwards.   This seems a strong possibility.

I'd try a new connector on it first, if you have one.

If you have a standalone testing, those are golden for this stuff.  Best $14 I ever spent.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »
'twas the connector.  Happy I got my meter out first as is showed some continuity between pins.  Odd though, I would think a failing connector would lose contact and not short.  Oh well.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 04:08:06 PM »
Spoke too soon!  All was working fine in test mode, but took a look outside and only half are working...  I knew it was too easy  ;D 

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »
what kind of controller are you using?

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 06:38:45 AM »
More info.  Show controller is F16v1.  Basement bench test setup rig is DLA 4port with usc.  Worked perfecty is usc test mode, so well I didn't even doubt it was fixed.  This is first time test mode let me down.  I will try and run the F16v1 test mode.  I also tried unplugging the pixels at different times thinking there was a bit of bad data in the line or something.  Perplexing... 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 06:50:00 AM »
Reprogram the F16v1. It has forgotten its string setting.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 07:42:50 AM »
Good idea Jon.  Will try.  Do the nodes interact with controller programing?  In my mind they don't and this wouldn't matter.  Also, am I correct that there should not be continuity between any of the connector pins? 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 08:01:14 AM »
Good idea Jon.  Will try.  Do the nodes interact with controller programing?  In my mind they don't and this wouldn't matter.  Also, am I correct that there should not be continuity between any of the connector pins?

There should not be "zero" resistance between any of the 3 wires at the beginning or end of the string. There should be low resistance "end to end" for the +V and Ground wires but high resistance on the Data (almost always the center wire) line.

But - some Multimeters can put a high enough voltage on the test leads when using the Resistance setting to damage semi-conductors. If you have two multimeters, you can check that (if your multimeter has several Resistance ranges, check them all and use the one with the lowest applied voltage)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 01:24:52 PM »
I'll be...  Went for a run and threw test mode on and sure enough it runs fine...  This is changing my understanding of how this works.  ;D

Offline t.jo13

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
I'll be...  Went for a run and threw test mode on and sure enough it runs fine...  This is changing my understanding of how this works.  ;D

I have been fighting with the same issue for over a week. Strings I think are bad run fine in test mode but will not play nice when running show . Reflashed, reprogrammed several times, changed nodes, and connectors? driving me nuts.