Author Topic: Bad string, where would YOU start?  (Read 2296 times)

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
Re: Bad string, where would YOU start?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 10:40:36 PM »
Make sure that nothing changed your sequence files and confirm that your controller and output definitions are still in sync and correct.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
TJo, sorry for the late reply but I fought a thankfully short battle like yours and found that it was the RJ45 cable to the controller causing it.  Never woulda guess it but just tried it and SOB, it fixed it. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
TJo, sorry for the late reply but I fought a thankfully short battle like yours and found that it was the RJ45 cable to the controller causing it.  Never woulda guess it but just tried it and SOB, it fixed it.
It makes absolute perfect sense if your lights work fine in test mode. Test mode proves that your lights work fine and they communicate with controller. If you stay in this Hobby a CAT5 cable tester is going to save you a lot of headaches and become your best friend. My tester saved me quite a few times during setup

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »
Good idea!  Have a link for a decent tester?  What's funny (not really  ;D) is that I get deer in the head lights so to speak when I have problems like this.  Test mode has made my life so much easier but still manage to get baffled.  I think a pixel test flow chart would be good for alot of people.  Yes tbone I am looking at you!  :D   I feel for the FPP guys.  As far I could tell nearly all of the "my lights aren't working" posts in that forum had really nothing to do with FPP. 

Offline drm1963

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »
DO any of your strings function?
Have you swapped the strings in for some that work to verify they are also good.
If they function in test mode there is no reason I could think they would not in a sequence other than the addressing nd or the hardware that is actually driving those pixels!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »
zwiller, back in my working days I used a variety of cable testers that were really powerful, but now in my retirement I have no need to spend a lot of money of stuff I would use very little.  I have a cable tester very similar to this very inexpensive one and it works just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Tonor-RJ45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B00OUFX38W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483752710&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+testers
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »
zwiller, back in my working days I used a variety of cable testers that were really powerful, but now in my retirement I have no need to spend a lot of money of stuff I would use very little.  I have a cable tester very similar to this very inexpensive one and it works just fine.
https://www.amazon.com/Tonor-RJ45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B00OUFX38W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483752710&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+testers

I have been using one of those since I started in the hobby in 2008...........

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 06:57:26 AM »
That's the exact same one I use. Best money I ever spent on this Hobby.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »
OKOKOK!  Ordered the tester  ;D 

Going back to my issue.  I am fairly confident I have some sort of weather/temp/moisture/ground thing happening since the issue is intermittent.  As it stands now, the string does not respond at all and 3 of 4 lights are constantly lit.  Yeppers, tried swapping and same thing on another port and the original line runs another prop just fine.  No test mode either.  Basically a rebuild if you ask me.  Would be really cool if there was a way to test this.  I was hoping some info could be had by testing with a meter.  In my mind  :o there should be some basic string tests that we can perform to help ID the problem.  Continuity test from input to output lines, maybe?  In the end, I can just rebuild but was hoping to learn a bit more about fixing and maybe this could help others.   

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
Thanks for the links on the tester, one has been ordered up!  Not really had bad cable issues, but thought it would be really helpful when I cannot find my toner to figure out which cable is which sometimes too!