Author Topic: FPP driving P10 panels over Ethernet via a $30 ColorLight 5a-75B receiver board  (Read 35548 times)

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 9
I have a similar panel using p10s, my layout is 5 panels tall by 9 wide.
I'm using five of the colorlight outputs driving it from one end and it works perfectly.
All of my arrows are facing up and the data is coming in from the right side going to the left as you're facing the panel with the top panel being the first output from the colorlight

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 4
    • Newburgh Lights
Do you plan on this being 8 panels wide and 4 panels tall?  (approx 8ft wide by 2ft tall)
He said he was aiming for 1 high by 32 wide - 16 x 1024 pixels.  So cable length could be an issue.  I only know that a one meter cable is not a problem.  Never tested anything longer.

Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 205
We have confirmation that  you can use two ColorLight cards at the same time with FPP, so I think the best layout may be to use two of them with one at 8 panels from each end.  I have  used a 5' ribbon cable, but am not sure you could get away with 8'.      If you use 2 cards, you have a couple options shown below.  Each number/letter below is a panel with the actual number/letter showing which output that panel or chain would be connected to.

Code: [Select]
2222111133334444BBBBAAAACCCCDDDD

1111111122222222AAAAAAAABBBBBBBB

In the first option, the ColorLights are installed in the area between the '1' and '3' and between the 'A' and 'C'.  You use 4 outputs on each colorlight with 4 panels per chain.  You would configure the colorlight software to say that you have 4 panels wide by 8 panels tall.  The first card would be driving the top 4 'rows' and the second would be driving the bottom 4.  In FPP, you would configure this as 8 outputs with 4 panels each.  The ColorLight software would make sure that the second card is listening for the packets containing the proper data.

In the second option, you have the colorlights installed in the same physical location, but you use 8 panels per chain so you are only using 4 outputs total.  In this scenario, you would tell the colorlight software that you have 8 panels wide by 4 tall.  The first card drives the top 2 rows and the second the bottom 2.  In FPP, you would have 4 outputs with 8 panels each.

-
Chris

Offline Greg Ogonowski

• Kudos: 0
This is planned to be 1x32. A single row of 32 panels.
32 - 16x32 panels wide. That is why I am worried about individual HUB75 cable length.
This display is intended to span across the front of a wide garage, about 32 feet, at the front of the roof line.

So the question remains, the best way to accomplish this:
BBB/Octoscroller
Colorlight
Linsn

For as much as I would like to do this with a RasPi, I don't think there is enough gas there to drive it from a Pi HAT.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:04:01 PM by Greg Ogonowski »

Offline Greg Ogonowski

Thanks for all this information.
I'll get everything ordered and report back, hopefully with success.
Once installed, I'll supply a link with a movie.
Happy New Year!
/greg.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
So the question remains, the best way to accomplish this:

Using a ColorLight is preferred over Linsn because ColorLight is easier to setup and doesn't require that FPP 'fake' the MAC address of the network interface that was used to configure the Linsn card.

In this case, due to the width of the total matrix, I think you are going to have to use 2 of whatever you use, whether it is 2 BBB/Octoscroller, 2 ColorLight, or 2 Linsn.  I would go with a single FPP Remote driving whatever option you use so that you get 'perfect' sync in the data.  This could be a Pi driving 2 ColorLights or a Pi sending DDP to two BBB's.  If you run opposite sides of the same matrix with two FPP's in Remote mode, you stand the chance that they could be slightly out of sync which will be visible across a 32-foot wide matrix.

If may come down to whatever you are more comfortable with.  The ColorLight option would probably be about half the cost of the BBB w/ Octoscroller combination.  I don't think a PocketBeagle with PocketScroller would be a good option since that would mean running FPP in Remote mode instead of Bridge mode.

Offline Greg Ogonowski

Got it.
2 Colorlight Cards are ordered and on their way.

Looking at panel options at the moment.
P10 16x32
Any recommendations there?
Looking at PreSales:
DIYLE
CFOL
or should I go directly to Ray for this?

Offline astrosnapper

• Puente Pixels
Just getting started with P5 panels and looking for a bit of help on setup and wiring of the panels. I currently have a 2x2 setup of 64x32 1/16 scan P5 panels (from the LYSONLED store on Aliexpress) and a ColorLight 5A-75 being driven from FPP on a Pi through a Netgear GS108T switch. From the back the panel arrows in the middle all point left to right - I assume this is the direction of data flow and the way the HUB75 cables should be connected from panel to panels ? The panels are currently wired as (again looking from the back):
O1P1O1P2
O1P3O1P4
The input from the ColorLight card comes from J1 into O1P1 and then to O1P2 and then I have a long ribbon cable from O1P2 diagonally to O1P3 and then onto O1P4.
The arrows at the top of the panels are all pointing up. When I configure this in the LEDVision 5.0 software, I seem to get two 2x1 matrices with the same output mirrored on both rows of the matrix in LEDVision (picture on my website: https://adventuresinprecision.space/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/20190128_174720.jpg) and also the same thing happens if I put e.g. a curtain open effect onto the matrix in Xlights and play that sequence from FPP. Since I want to add in the other 2 panels I got (but forgot to order a Boscoyo middle strip for...  ::) ) to make a 3x2 matrix, questions are:
  • Can I turn the bottom row of 2/3 panels upside down to make the mid-(data?)arrows run right-to-left on the bottom row, shortening the cabling and drive all 6 from 1 output of the ColorLight card?
  • What do I need to do in either LEDVision and/or the FPP setup to make it behave as 1 matrix and not as 2 independent rows?
  • A more general matrix question: how are people handling the power distribution to the panels ? My panels came with 24" cables with spade lugs on one end and the panel 4pin Molex connectors on the other. With a bigger panel I worry I would not be able to get all of them back to the screw terminals on the Meanwell PSU.
Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
Astrosnapper,Connect one output from the ColorLight to O1P1 and a second output from the ColorLight to what is currently O1P3.  Obviously change O1P3 and O1P4 to become O2P1 and O2P2.
From everything I have heard, the ColorLights don't drive two rows of panels from a single output well.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
Just getting started with P5 panels and looking for a bit of help on setup and wiring of the panels. I currently have a 2x2 setup of 64x32 1/16 scan P5 panels (from the LYSONLED store on Aliexpress) and a ColorLight 5A-75 being driven from FPP on a Pi through a Netgear GS108T switch. From the back the panel arrows in the middle all point left to right - I assume this is the direction of data flow and the way the HUB75 cables should be connected from panel to panels ? The panels are currently wired as (again looking from the back):
O1P1O1P2
O1P3O1P4
The input from the ColorLight card comes from J1 into O1P1 and then to O1P2 and then I have a long ribbon cable from O1P2 diagonally to O1P3 and then onto O1P4.

When using the ColorLight and Linsn cards with FPP, you always configure the ColorLight/Linsn receivers as if all panels on an output were in a straight line.  FPP handles the layout for you.  The ColorLight/Linsn software isn't as flexible as FPP is regarding panel layout and positioning, so FPP handles it all.  In your config, you would tell the ColorLight software that you have a layout 1 panel tall by 4 panels wide.  If testing with the ColorLight software, you have to mentally "unwrap" the two bottom panels and think of them as if they were at the end of the top row.   FPP knows that there are 4 panels on the output, but that the last two are actually on the second row and it displays the proper pixel data on them.  In xLights, you configure your model using the layout that is configured in FPP which would be 2 panels wide by 2 tall.

Offline astrosnapper

• Puente Pixels
Thanks CaptainMurdoch, that did the trick. What I needed to do within LEDVision (in case others hit the same snags):
  • Change to Width=256, Height=32 in the 'LED Screen Window Management' to get the "Virtual LED Screen" right
  • Change Refresh rate to 960,  DCLK from 15.6 MHz to 17.9 MHz in the 'Screen Parameters' part of the 'LED Screen Settings' (otherwise you can't set the Width to more than 254)
  • Set Width=256, Height=32 in the 'Screen Parameters' section.
  • Save to Receiver card
  • Set Width=128, Height=64 in the 'Receiver Mapping' section; setting 256x32 here corrupted the display...
  • Save to Receiver card
With this, the existing setup I had in FPP worked fine and my "open curtain" test sequence from xLights worked properly and opened across the whole matrix as one (rather than 2 copies). Will see if I can incorporate of this info into a video 

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
I have an item on my ToDo list for this year to grab some more packet captures so I can try to reverse engineer the configuration packets the software sends to the receiver cards.  It would be nice to be able to auto configure the ColorLight receivers from inside the FPP UI.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 119
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
It would be nice to be able to auto configure the ColorLight receivers from inside the FPP UI.

Better than nice; that would be sweet!

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
That would be fantastic!

Go for it - please.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk