Author Topic: Second Pi With PiCap ran in Bridge mode or Remote  (Read 1580 times)

Offline jimmyc4511

• Kudos: 0
Second Pi With PiCap ran in Bridge mode or Remote
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:30:19 PM »
I have a pi that I'm running as the master now...then I added a second pi with Falcon PiCap. I plan on using the second pi with PiCap for a matrix. Xlights as my sequencer...should I have it as a remote or just put it in bridge mode..?

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
Re: Second Pi With PiCap ran in Bridge mode or Remote
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »
You want that in remote mode.  Bridge is when you are going directly from xlights to the controller, not using FPP to run the show.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
For up to a few thousand channels (which equates to a few P10 panels) then it's probably easiest to go with bridge mode. Once you start getting into the 10,000 or more channels then it starts getting worthwhile to go with remote mode.

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:59:58 PM »
I have the same question. The last 2 responses are are confusing. 1 for bridge, one for remote. Any supporting descriptions of the modes would be helpful.
Me, 1 Pi running the show with transmitter. 2 Pi's with caps, 1 running yard on one side of driveway, other on other side of driveway. Wish I had the caps for testing (preorder).

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 04:24:26 AM »
Info that I've based my response on.

1. The Raspberry Pi uses an internal usb to ethernet hub so it has a relatively low throughput even though it uses a 100M connection. When the Pi is pumping out lots of universes at 20 or 40 updates per second packets can get dropped if too much info is being sent out.

2. When acting in bridge mode everything is in time with the original source and there's no need for the slave Pi to try to sync the data. In a perfect world things would sync nicely but in the real world there is fiddling done to keep things in sync as the slave can be advanced or retarded slightly.

3. With pixels rather than P10 panels you can have a very large display before hitting the the threshold where data and SD card throughput would slow things down. With P10 panels being 512 pixels/1536 channels each it's very easy to get to high channels fast. A P10 matrix will often be the major channel component of a display.

A bit of info on the Pi ethernet and also how to get it going faster https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/getting-gigabit-networking

Offline jimmyc4511

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 04:33:42 AM »
Im running a matrix from the PiCap and everything else will be ran from the Master Pi running FPP and the Falcon F16V3 pixel controller. Right now I have the second pi with PiCap set up as a remote with the PiCap output configured with 507 pixels on output 1 and 508 on output 2. Starting channel of 2700...that's the absolute number from xlights model. I'm wondering if I sync the pi's together will the PiCap play its part of the fseq (model starting at 2700 matrix) when the sequence is played. And do I need to configure anything special in xlights or FPP master for this to work..?

Offline jimmyc4511

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
This is what I was looking for...found this answer in another forum from captain Murdock..I am not using the P10 matrix but I think it's the same concept..
"If you are running FPP Master Pi with another Pi running the P10 panels then you want to use FPP MultiSync with the Master Pi set to 'Master' and the p10 Pi set to 'Remote'. After setting the P10 Pi to Remote mode, go to the MultiSync page on the master and check the checkbox beside the P10 Pi's hostname. Use the 'sync' button to sync your sequences from the Master to Remote automatically. Then, whenever the master plays a sequence, the remote will play the same sequence. This eliminates the E1.31 traffic over the network, only small sync packets are sent about once per second from master to remote."

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »
Thank you AAH for the description. I had tested in remote mode without the PiCap. Your description is very informative. For my first time show (noob) I will probably stick with remote mode. As house, megatree, arches are only 4000 pixels. I do notice a bit of delay on the picap. Need to add delay to sync it properly still. Probably coding/decoding delays.

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 05:45:06 AM »
My understanding is that Bridge mode is essentially for when you are using the sequencing software to run the show, but using the FPP to get from the computer to the controllers.

Master/Remote mode is when you have disconnected from the computer and everything is being run from the FPP.  In that case you need to have 1 FPP as master, and the rest would be remotes.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 07:43:47 AM »
I've always described Bridge Mode as turning your FPP into an E1.31 controller. Ethernet input, Pixel output.

If you have a PiCap in Bridge Mode, it is a 2 port E1.31 controller. As such, it will work with any lighting software that supports E1.31 output.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 08:37:53 AM »
I've always described Bridge Mode as turning your FPP into an E1.31 controller. Ethernet input, Pixel output.

If you have a PiCap in Bridge Mode, it is a 2 port E1.31 controller. As such, it will work with any lighting software that supports E1.31 output.

+1
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »
That makes sense to me. Much more clear now. Never tried running sequence from pc to Pi. Not sure I would need that feature, but good to know maybe for debugging. Thanks for more detail.