Author Topic: DMX 5v DC Controller Rexommendation  (Read 5144 times)

Offline ron

• Developer
  • Kudos: 0
DMX 5v DC Controller Rexommendation
« on: January 11, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »
I am foreseeing a need for a 5v DC controller with just a few channels (4 or less) and low amp requirements.  It would be great if somebody could recommend a DMX based controller like this. Ideally it would be wireless DMX, but I can always add a wireless DMX receiver.

I have some DC SSR based options, but they are higher channel counts and require wiring between the SSR and controller that I would like to avoid.

I need a few of these so something small with just a few channels would be great. Any recommendations?

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
Re: DMX 5v DC Controller Rexommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »

No idea about 5v, but for 12-24V, I've had really good luck with the DM-103 from Ray:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DM-103-3-channel-RGB-dmx-constant-voltage-decoder-DC12-24V-input-max-2A-3channel-output/868042910.html

The things are TINY.  There are others (DM-101, DM-104, etc....) that have different channel counts and current ratings and such.  I've only used the DM-103.   I wrote up a bit of a review at:

http://www.diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?658-DM-103-controller-from-Ray

Dan

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
I use these for a lot of things... they are 5V-24V:

DMX 512 Module & decoder;DC5V input;P/N:LN-DMXMODEL-3CH-5V

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DMX-512-Module-decoder-DC5V-input-P-N-LN-DMXMODEL-3CH-5V/701799_307297559.html

http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:05:49 PM »
So would this little 4 channel version:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DM-101-4-channel-RGBW-dmx-constant-current-decoder-DC12-24V-input-600ma-4channel-output/701799_868054623.html

Handle a diyc flood?

It seems if I do my limited understanding of math properly. Ray's controller can handle 600 ma per color, and at 5 x 20-30ma each that's PLENTY of headroom, like drive a couple sets of the floods easy, or double up the number in the flood.

Now would the put out as much as the $41.00 lead from the Aether II?  Or maybe have some better color purity?

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DMX-512-Module-decoder-DC5V-input-P-N-LN-DMXMODEL-3CH-5V/701799_307297559.html

Don't see if this is constant current, constant voltage or none of the above?

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »

Did you hear me slapping my forehead?  These would do exactly what I'm needing and I think I have a bunch of them in one of my boxes.  I've used them for a bunch of things from Holiday Coro, but always with RGB stuff.  No reason I can't use them for an on/off DMX channel though.

I need to see if I have any 5v though.

Thanks Steve.

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
Don't see if this is constant current, constant voltage or none of the above?

Try choice #4... "unknown".
Choice #5... "all of the above" is unlikely.

:)

you've stepped outside my comfort area.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:44:03 AM »
My creativity is being overdriven with these little controllers.  3ch dmx constant current controller for $4.50 and 4ch for $6.00?!  Sure you have to get a programmer but still...  You guys using these or similar dmx stuff, is the dmx programming pretty straightforward? 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline dkulp

• Developer
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 11:41:04 AM »
My creativity is being overdriven with these little controllers.  3ch dmx constant current controller for $4.50 and 4ch for $6.00?!  Sure you have to get a programmer but still...  You guys using these or similar dmx stuff, is the dmx programming pretty straightforward?

Very easy to program.  Would be easier if the programmer had a case with a battery, but I ended up just soldering a 9V batter connector onto it.

Basically, plug it into the controller, you can hit the "Read" button to read the current value, hit the button to increment (it is 1-170 so you would need to multiply it by 3 for the real channel number), hit "Write".  Unplug.   Repeat.  Done.   Because of the increment by 3 thing, I don't know if you'd need a different programmer for the 4 channel.   

What's even cooler is the cascade.   If you cascade from the out of one to the in of another, you ONLY program the first controller.   For my MegaPumpkin, I used 3 of them cascaded.   I just program the address on the first one.  Thus, it ends up looking like a 9 channel controller.   I honestly thought about taking 10 of them and just sticking them in a CG case of some sort with cascade to create a 30 channel controller, but then decided having the little controllers stuck right where needed made more sense.  You can see the 3 of them potted and stuck to the back in the attached image.

I also have 4 of Ray's DMX 10W floods.  The programmer for that sucks in comparison.  It's 4x the price, is quite complicated to use, the buttons are finicky and hard to press, and it's all Chinese.   I've strongly considered ripping out the little DMX controllers in the floods and replacing them with these just to make things easier to program.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline arw01

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 11:49:24 AM »
You lost me on the cascading, could you draw it out in crayon for me?  I plan to order a few of these myself, they would work great for 1w pixel strobes and various little things, but the 1 to 9 lost me.

Offline arw01

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 11:51:04 AM »
Any pictures of the he 10 watt floods too and their coverage?  I used aethers but cannot get them back far and a few minis might be better for me vs big aethers.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
You lost me on the cascading, could you draw it out in crayon for me?  I plan to order a few of these myself, they would work great for 1w pixel strobes and various little things, but the 1 to 9 lost me.

If you look closely at the DM-103 on Ray's site, on the Left are D+ and D- pads (and gnd and V+).  Those are for data coming in.   On the right, along with the R/G/B/V+ pads, there are D+/D-/GND pads.  Those are for DMX out.   If you wire from those to another DM-103, that forms a sort of  cascade of controllers where just the first one needs programming and then it feeds the rest of the channels out that output.  So the first one would be channels 1-3, the next 4-6, etc....   It ends up similar to pixels or Renard controllers where the first one slurps some data off and passes the rest to the next.   

If you don't want the cascade like that to make the little controllers behave like normal DMX controllers, just don't use the D+/D-/GND pads on the right and do the normal splits with RJ45 splitters or whatever prior to the controllers.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
Any pictures of the he 10 watt floods too and their coverage?  I used aethers but cannot get them back far and a few minis might be better for me vs big aethers.

You could check some of the videos on my youtube channel.  I didn't use them much for Christmas, but for Halloween I used them a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0tT9RTWyGaU_2AICU2P2SO6vk0qWPzg

The LoonyTunesEnding2013 one you can kind of see how they light up the house.   I have one on each side of the garage (the one on the left you can actually see the little PVC stake it's mounted on sticking up).  That one is about 4feet from the house.   The one on the right is further away, likely around 8 feet or so, due to the driveway being wide over there.  There are 2 in the garden behind the little pumpkin bunch pointing somewhat up to try and flood the house.   Those likely should have been either farther away or 20W's if I really wanted to flood the house, but I actually liked the way they ended up casting cool shadows from the plants onto the house.  Kind of added a spooky feel. 

If you watch the "It Must Be Halloween" one, you can see it flip from Orange to Purple.   I does a little better with the Purple, but that may be because my vinyl siding is blue and naturally reflects more of the light.

Offline arw01

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 12:41:51 PM »
They look pretty bright, and spread fairly well.  I can get maybe 2' back, maybe 30" on my house before I have to cross the sidewalk.  I thought maybe with some mini trees I might be able to hide them behind those (the big aethers), but I also wanted some color spots on the soffits as well.

Are they this one?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-10W-RGB-DMX-LED-flood-light-IP66-high-quality-with-15mm-3-core-waterproof/701799_1089962952.html

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »

If you look closely at the DM-103 on Ray's site, on the Left are D+ and D- pads (and gnd and V+).  Those are for data coming in.   On the right, along with the R/G/B/V+ pads, there are D+/D-/GND pads.  Those are for DMX out.   If you wire from those to another DM-103, that forms a sort of  cascade of controllers where just the first one needs programming and then it feeds the rest of the channels out that output.  So the first one would be channels 1-3, the next 4-6, etc....   It ends up similar to pixels or Renard controllers where the first one slurps some data off and passes the rest to the next.   

If you don't want the cascade like that to make the little controllers behave like normal DMX controllers, just don't use the D+/D-/GND pads on the right and do the normal splits with RJ45 splitters or whatever prior to the controllers.

Great explanation Dan.  Does dmx need to be "terminated" at last controller?  Do you think there some flexibility in terms of current?  IE using a 300ma CC board for 350ma leds?

I think one could get one of the cheaper non-dmx 10W floods and mod with a dm101 and 4 core connector and have a one cable solution.  Also saw a 30W rgb chip for $11 SHIPPED.