Author Topic: PiCap and Renard ss24  (Read 1478 times)

Offline tgodfrey

• Kudos: 0
PiCap and Renard ss24
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:23:06 PM »
I'm new to this so be gentle.

I have a new PI and set it up with FPP running Version:v1.9-47-gdc9c195 FPP OS Build:v1.8. Got a new PiCap and have it installed on the pi with both running off a 5v power supply. I'm able to control a string of 50 5v pixels from the FPP display testing and also from xlights with FPP in bridge mode. So far I'm good with that.

I'm having a problem getting some renard ss24's to work. My understanding is that I should see them light from the FPP display testing before thinking about trying them from xlights. I bought them used so that might be part of the problem. I'm assuming their good but this is my first time trying them. From what I've read I probably need to pick up a usb - rs-485 adapter to verify they work and possibly a PIC programmer to re-program the ss24's.

Before I do that, any tips or suggestions to get them to work with the PiCap and FPP. I'm not sure of which port, speed and other option to choose. I've tried a number of combinations. Currently I have 1 connected and set up in FPP->Output as #1 Active Renard 1 24 Port: ttyAMA0 Speed: 57600 8N1. I think I've tried all of the Output Config variations with no luck.

The 3 PiCap jumpers are on REN. The ss24 is connected to the PiCap with a standard cat5 cable from the PiCap to J2 on the SS24. I've tried a couple different cat5 cables and also tried a cable I made following the DMX (RJ-45) to Renard Connection found here (http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=6630.0)  On the renard, JP2 & JP3 are jumpered. The Power light is on on the ss24. I have yet to see any of the diagnostic lights come on.

Suggestions?

Offline ktaylor88

Re: PiCap and Renard ss24
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »
I'm new to this so be gentle.

I have a new PI and set it up with FPP running Version:v1.9-47-gdc9c195 FPP OS Build:v1.8. Got a new PiCap and have it installed on the pi with both running off a 5v power supply. I'm able to control a string of 50 5v pixels from the FPP display testing and also from xlights with FPP in bridge mode. So far I'm good with that.

I'm having a problem getting some renard ss24's to work. My understanding is that I should see them light from the FPP display testing before thinking about trying them from xlights. I bought them used so that might be part of the problem. I'm assuming their good but this is my first time trying them. From what I've read I probably need to pick up a usb - rs-485 adapter to verify they work and possibly a PIC programmer to re-program the ss24's.

Before I do that, any tips or suggestions to get them to work with the PiCap and FPP. I'm not sure of which port, speed and other option to choose. I've tried a number of combinations. Currently I have 1 connected and set up in FPP->Output as #1 Active Renard 1 24 Port: ttyAMA0 Speed: 57600 8N1. I think I've tried all of the Output Config variations with no luck.

The 3 PiCap jumpers are on REN. The ss24 is connected to the PiCap with a standard cat5 cable from the PiCap to J2 on the SS24. I've tried a couple different cat5 cables and also tried a cable I made following the DMX (RJ-45) to Renard Connection found here (http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=6630.0)  On the renard, JP2 & JP3 are jumpered. The Power light is on on the ss24. I have yet to see any of the diagnostic lights come on.

Suggestions?
I hope you figure it out, I am having the exact same problem. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:03:08 AM »
One thing that gets "confusing" due to titles is the settings on any of the boards that have jumpers for the output.

Note that the jumpers on the PiCap are for setting the WIRING only - as in which pins are the transmit, which are the receive, and which are not used.  It does not set the output to the Renard protocol.  Same for DMX.

You must do that through the firmware on the controller.

Unfortunately, I don't have my PiCaps available to review exact steps for setting the protocol. 

Also note that your SS24's firmware could be either strict Renard, or DMX/Renard.  Do you know which one?

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline tgodfrey

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 04:25:03 PM »
You must do that through the firmware on the controller.
     -My understanding so far is that its set via FPP. I'm not aware of any firmware settings for the PiCap. I currently have it setup in FPP->Output as #1 Active Renard 1 24 Port: ttyAMA0 Speed: 57600 8N1. The 3 jumpers on the PiCap set to REN. A standard cat5 networking cable from the piCap to J2 on the ss24.

Also note that your SS24's firmware could be either strict Renard, or DMX/Renard.  Do you know which one?
     - No, I do not know what it is set to. I may contact the previous owner to ask if he recalls. This is what leads me to believe that I would probably need to purchase a PIC programmer and also a rs-485 adapter in the near future to reprogram and verify. I'm just trying to eliminate any mistake I might be making with the PiCap before doing that.

Thanks for the input.

Offline tgodfrey

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 08:44:47 PM »
Success! I could have sworn I tried all of the various combinations over the weekend with no luck but tonight I was finally able to get the 2 ss24's daisy chained off the PiCap to work. The previous owner confirmed the firmware was standard renard and not DMX and with a baud rate of 115k.

So for anyone else trying to hook up renards I have the 3 jumpers on the PiCap set to REN. A standard cat5 cable from the PiCap 485 output to the J2 input on the first renard. I have another standard cat5 cable from the J1 output on the first renard to the J2 input on the second renard.

I'm running FPP (Version: v1.9-47-gdc9c195) in Bridge mode but I did verify it works if I have FPP in Player (Standalone). Under Input/Output Setup -> Channel Output -> Other I have #1 active, Output Type: Renard, Start Ch.: 1, Channel Count: 48 (since I have 2 ss24's), Port: ttyAMA0, Speed: 115200 (depends what your renards are set to), and the 3rd unnamed option: 8N1 (it appears to work if I set it to 8N2 also).

Set like this I'm able to get the renards to work from FPP's Display Testing option. Hope that helps someone. Now on to xlights.

Offline bprigg

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 07:33:42 AM »
Can I ask in order to test from Xlights is the FPP in Bridge mode??

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »
Can I ask in order to test from Xlights is the FPP in Bridge mode??

Testing an FPP from xlights, you would use Bridge mode. That turns the FPP into an E1.31 controller. It will then accept incoming data on the assigned IP address (Unicast) or Multicast based on the Universes you have configured.