Author Topic: PicCap 1st Pixel Length  (Read 1593 times)

Offline PeteyHall

• Kudos: 3
Re: PicCap 1st Pixel Length
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
There are a couple of videos up on Vimeo where people have tested max length to first pixel using the f amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
I would love to add the uAmps, but my floods are running at 24V.  The issue I am seeing is the lights stop responding at different times.  Right now I have a very simple sequence running a single color pattern.  They just stop.  Restarting the FPPD fixes the issue.  I can't tell if data has stopped being sent from FPP or there was a glitch in the data causing the WS2811 (Robg) flood to stop responding due to the cable being too long.  I am gong to try a string of lights this weekend and see if there is a difference.

Be careful about using the uAmp/fAmp, as they only support 5-12V, and if youre running 24V floods (like I am), the fix is more complicated.

This is why I wish I knew the schematic for these Amps, so I could have had a better solution....
All of my Null Pixel Buffers ( http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/null/ ) have been 5-24V since I did the 1st batch. All new stock that goes out now and all of the ready to go nulls (null with pigtails fitted) are 24V compatible.

On a side note the rPi-28D that I make which is similar to the PiCap and others has buffered pixel outputs and in theory should give a similar 20-30m range to the 1st pixel like the Null does. There's a video of the Null in use at the bottom of the linked page above. The difference between pixel output and the buffered output was 5m to 30m from memory.

It might be helpful to update the product description to note that they support 5V-24V, instead of 5V-12V.

Offline Michael

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »
My issue is my floods stop responding after a period of time.  If I disconnect them and reconnect them they start working most of the time.  I checked the FPP logs and data is being output.  Could my cable length to first node be the cause?  I ask because typically the issue I see when the length is to long is flickering or not working at all. 

Also, any idea if the uAmps pictured here would support 24v?

Thanks.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 05:28:28 AM »
I would love to add the uAmps, but my floods are running at 24V.  The issue I am seeing is the lights stop responding at different times.  Right now I have a very simple sequence running a single color pattern.  They just stop.  Restarting the FPPD fixes the issue.  I can't tell if data has stopped being sent from FPP or there was a glitch in the data causing the WS2811 (Robg) flood to stop responding due to the cable being too long.  I am gong to try a string of lights this weekend and see if there is a difference.

I also have a bunch of 10w RobG floods. In testing from an SP105e source, they have run continuously for 72+ hours. Could your "stopping" problem be heat related? I put heat sinks on the back of the LED but they still get very hot if I run them at full brightness.

What intensity are you sending? Try at 50% or less to see if there is a difference. At 50%, the heatsinks barely go above ambient temp. They don't really get hot until >75% and solid on.

and - the uAmps you picture are only rated (by Corey) for 12v (but you could "sacrifice" one in the name of science)

and the FPP logs can tell you if the FPP actually stopped sending data.
For something like this, I usually delete any existing logs (File Manager / Logs tab), then ensure that "Most" is checked for Logs, then run until the "bad thing" happens. Use the Zip function on the log page and Post here as an attachment.

Offline Michael

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 10:30:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help.  I think I solved the issue.  Had a loose connection between the PiCap and the first flood.