Author Topic: Use picap for data only?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Northernwarrior

• Kudos: 0
Use picap for data only?
« on: March 28, 2017, 03:38:38 PM »
Hi guys,

So I bring 12v to the picap and in input one I'm connecting data and ground only.  The from psu I'm using power and ground to strip and continue injecting this way.

The strips won't work unless I also attach power to input one.  If I'm using a long run and inject along the way will it still be ok for the picap?  It seems like the rpi is warming up ?

2nd - I am using psu wired to terminal blocks to have power but I keep hearing that it should be fused.  I honestly have no idea how I should do this or even what to look for to accomplish this.

I'm running 12v ws2811 led strips.  Will be 6x5 m on input 1 and 4x5 m on input 2

Suggestions that are diy and be able to pick up at a radio shack or something?

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Use picap for data only?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 06:41:30 PM »
Can you draw up a quick picture of what is and isn't working. Failing that at least a photo or 2 that show the connections.

Offline Northernwarrior

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 06:51:04 PM »
Very quick and messy.
When I do this I don't have lights

If I add power wire from picap to strip then I get power.

I'd like to not use the pi for power .  Is it possible ?

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 05:18:32 AM »
Hey I have that same pad of paper.  Since it works when you connect power between cap and strips, are you just asking out of curiosity to see if only data can be run from the Pi like other controllers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rmp2917

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »
It should work fine the way you have it drawn assuming all of your connections are correct. You may be back feeding the 12V into the board when you connect it from P1 to the strip. So, It sounds like you may have an issue with the power input. Does the power LED on the Pi Cap light up when the lights are not working?

First, make sure all 3 jumpers near the 2A fuse are still installed and verify the fuses are not blown. Do not connect any external power to the Pi itself. It should power up off the 12V supply.

You should be able to connect up to 1000 pixels to each output with power injection as you have it drawn. Power injection should not effect the Pi or Pi Cap. The Pi may get a little warm, but it should not be getting so hot you can't touch it.

While it is not absolutely necessary to fuse the wires coming from the power supply, it is a good idea. If you have a short or some other issue, the circuit protection in the power supply may not kick in quickly enough to prevent burning up a circuit. This could cause some significant damage to your equipment or even start a fire. There are several options for adding fuses. You can get inline fuses that splice directly to the power wires. You can get terminal blocks with built in fuses. Or, the easiest option would be to buy one of the Falcon Power distribution boards (Link Below) and use it in place of the terminal block.

https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=46&controller=product