Author Topic: FPP 1.11 master . . . will not work with Falcon PiCap  (Read 537 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
FPP 1.11 master . . . will not work with Falcon PiCap
« on: March 01, 2018, 01:24:39 PM »
At our last gathering in the Denver area, we updated controller firmware and installed FPP 1.11 master xxx with help from Ben Shaver to get everyone started off fresh this year.

I was unable to successfully run this firmware on a RPi B+ v1.x or RPi 2 with the PiCap installed. Rolling back to version 1.10 is working fine running 288 nodes with power injection on both ends of one output. I'm at currently at work and don't have access to another RPi, but can try to recreate if beneficial to the developers and get a log file.

Brian
Brian

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: FPP 1.11 master . . . will not work with Falcon PiCap
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 01:34:53 PM »
Did you install the Beta Pi Stretch SD image?  I'm guessing not since you say that v1.10 works.  The master-v1.x branch and master branch only work on the new SD image which is based on Raspbian Stretch.  These branches will not work on the v1.8 SD image which is based on Raspbian Wheezy.
-
Chris

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »
Reading over my post, I may have misspoke somewhat.

This was a fresh install of FPP-master-v1.x-Pi-20180221 on an 16GB SD card and booted successfully. I had access to the FPP via the webpage. After the PiCap was installed, I could not control any of the nodes. Switched to someone else's setup running v1.09 and it worked fine. I reimaged my SD to 1.8 from the this forum then upgraded to 1.9 and finally 1.10 and all seems to be working now.

Brian

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 02:27:51 PM »
OK, thanks for the clarification.  Tonight I will switch my freshly-imaged Zero over to the master-v1.x branch and see if the WS281x Channel Output gives me any issues.

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
Let me know if I can be of other assistance.

You mentioned running off of a pi zero which I would prefer because of the size. I read a few threads where there were issues with the pi zero and pi zero wireless. Have those been addressed in 1.10?

Thanks for all of the support you give to people like me that know just enough to really mess things up!

Brian

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 03:00:13 PM »
You mentioned running off of a pi zero which I would prefer because of the size. I read a few threads where there were issues with the pi zero and pi zero wireless. Have those been addressed in 1.10?

I am running v1.10-27-g259bc38  (updated from the v1.8 SD image) on a Pi-Zero-Wireless with Falcon PiCap.  Works great, no issues so far.  Full disclosure, its not doing anything really special, just one string of 150 pixels for some interior lighting
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks pixel puppy, that is all I really want to do with these as well. I will give it a try for the next prop.

Brian

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »
Thanks pixel puppy, that is all I really want to do with these as well. I will give it a try for the next prop.
After I posted, I realize I may have jumped the gun.   I have a bunch of different Pi's and BeagleBones of all different flavors running different things and memory is starting to slip  :-[

I *can* confirm that I'm running v1.10-27-g259bc38  on a Pi-Zero-W with PiCap and its working fine.  However, I don't think it started with the v1.8 image.  It probably started with the special Pi-Zero SD image that was floating around in another thread.  Sorry about the mixup.   It is indeed working for me on v1.10, but you might need to go through a few more gyrations than I initially posted

Look in this thread for info on the v1.9 beta image that supports Pi-Zero-W.  This is the image I started with and then updated it to v1.10
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7277.0.html
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:25:10 PM by pixelpuppy »