Author Topic: Pi and Cubscouts  (Read 563 times)

Offline PittFan

• Kudos: 0
Pi and Cubscouts
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:00:37 PM »
I got my pi for lights obviously!

But now this little thing has me thinking about other uses as well. We just finished up our Cubscout Pack's Pinewood Derby and we don't have a timer.  I thought wow, I bet someone has thought up a way to use the Pi for this. 
I've done a bit of searching and saw some project ideas out there but no fully documented DIY projects.  Anyone here come across DIY project using the PI for a track timer?

I think something along these lines would be good:
1. support a 6 lane track
2. Start timer hardware attached to the track gate
3. LED sensors for finish line detection
4. Using Pi's video output to display times, order of finish and "simulated speed" on a computer monitor or display. (vs LED readouts above the track)
5. Would be nice to interface with some of the known track software out there to manage cumulative times, winners etc. 

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
Re: Pi and Cubscouts
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 02:59:23 PM »
Don't the scouts have an electronics badge?  I had a little laser pointer circuit someplace that would work great with the gpio pins, it counted the revs of my power meter and would toss a pin on the parallel port high or low depending if the laser was hitting the sensor or not.

So some simple ir sender receiver pairs, a small drive circuit, the gpio pins, maybe the rasclock if you want real tight timing would get you 90% there.  A contact switch at the top so when the gate draps it trips the starter.  Maybe a ip camera with blue irus to let you do some video of the finish with their times OSD.

Neat.