Author Topic: Can I make this work ?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Northernwarrior

• Kudos: 0
Can I make this work ?
« on: April 29, 2017, 05:51:20 AM »
Is it possible to use both ws2811 strips and bullets on 1 output of picap?

For my house outline on each floor I'd have 200 bullets and 200 pixels on strips.  One facing out and one facing house to wash it.  It's looks awesome using a cheap test controller.

Problems I forsee : data wiring.  Do I run the full 200 bullets then loop back with the strips ?  Secondly how would you overcome the fact that both sets of pixels are not the same rgb so in test function on fpp they have different colours when I select a fill colour.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Can I make this work ?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:42:17 AM »
You were good until you mentioned the RGB order problem.

The PiCap can handle long strings of mixed pixel styles as long as they are the same pixel chip type (ws2811)

The F16v2 and F16v3 and handle "virtual strings" to change the RGB order but, currently, the PiCap does not.

Perhaps you could compensate in xLights by configuring a string "incorrectly" there so that it matches.
(As it says next, the 2 model method is the way to go)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:32:24 AM by JonB256 »

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:19:06 AM »
I think In xlights you make 2 models. One model for the strips, and one model for the bullet nodes. Assign the correct color order each model.
Then just allign them on your display in xLights.

Pat

Offline Northernwarrior

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 10:02:04 AM »
Let me see if I understand :
If I find the correct rgb order for each ( using fpp ) , I then would make 2 separate lines so 1-600 channels on first line and 601-1200 for second line ?

Assuming I wire it in a loop as mentioned in first post would I still be able to complete a chase as an example with both following same way ?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
You could use both outputs on the PiCap if you wanted, but since both pixel sets are WS2811 (correct?), you could run them as one physical string on one output. The "model" part of the earlier post means that Model #1 would be from 1 to 600 and that Model #2 would be from 601 to 1200.

When you create each model in xlights, you would just choose the correct color order (RGB, RBG, etc.) to get the correct colors on the pixels.

The "easiest" method would be to use both outputs of the PiCap, but you might need the other one for something else.

Is that any clearer? Pat and I are assuming you are using xLights. xLights is Model driven.

Offline Northernwarrior

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 11:31:29 AM »
Yes xlights.   Reason why 1 output is because I want to do my upper level house which will require the other output.

I could I suppose just loop each type around the lower and upper house

When people post a dia gram of the purposed layout, which program are they using ?  If I draw it out it may male more sense

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
Take a picture of the front of your house and then import it into xLights. Then build your models  and place then where you want them in the layout viewover the top of your house. Then get a sceenshot  and save the file and attach that.

Pat