Author Topic: sk6812 rgbw  (Read 1402 times)

Offline bagley2000

• Kudos: 0
    • New Wave Powder Coating
sk6812 rgbw
« on: June 12, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
I am having a hard time with this one. I have some sk6812 rgbw led that i put in a light bar and am having a very hard time finding a controller that will do what i want. I do have a sp105e controller hooked up and working ok but i need to control them like i do my christmas lights. Dose anyone know of a controller that will do this?
Bad or missing keyboard. Press F1 to continue

Offline rockendoublez

Re: sk6812 rgbw
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:55:42 AM »
I only know of these two controllers:

PixLite 16 MKII   
Pixcon 16

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 107
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
Looking at a few spec sheets, the sk6812 is related to the ws2812. 

In xLights, you can define a string of pixels as RGBW (like the sk6812)

If so, I wouldn't be surprised if it worked as a ws2811 pixel type choice in most controllers.
It is 3-wire, so trying it would not harm anything.

ps, if it does harm anything, I live in a foreign country and you'll never find me.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
I am having a hard time with this one. I have some sk6812 rgbw led that i put in a light bar and am having a very hard time finding a controller that will do what i want. I do have a sp105e controller hooked up and working ok but i need to control them like i do my christmas lights. Dose anyone know of a controller that will do this?

Any progress on this?

Offline crystal

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 02:34:38 AM »
sk6812 rgbw led is not new now,so many controllers have added protocols,the controller can control sk6812 rgb led ,still  can control sk6812 rgbw led

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »

In xLights, you can define a string of pixels as RGBW (like the sk6812)

xlights does not support RGBW pixels.  The RGBW type is meant for support of 4 channel "superstrings".  I've asked about adding RGBW pixel support, but there did not appear to be any interest from developers or other users.

It might be possible to use custom models in order to configure the RGB portion of the RGBW pixel string, and another custom model for the W channels.  In this way pixel effects could be applied to the RGB models and render correctly.  I want to try this eventually, but my roofline pixel replacement that i wanted to do this season has been put off until next year.

Charlie

Offline slvreagl

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »
Any luck with controlling the full potential of these lights?

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 54
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »

xLights 2018.12 will have preliminary support for RGBW pixels.  FPP 2.0 on the Beaglebones also now has the ability to specify RGBW color orders for the virtual pixel strings.

It's all pretty new, but I have things more or less working for very basic use cases.   Things like the various display testing dialogs and such will likely need to be updated to allow selecting 4 channel node sizes, but you can at least now create a single line model of type RGBW and output to real lights that more or less works.   
Dan Kulp

Offline fade

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
(Hi everyone, I'm new to the board. Thanks for building such an incredible resource!)

I'm looking at Falcon controllers for my next project and I was wondering if they're capable of driving RGBW (SK6812) LEDs if I write the player code myself (a program that just spits out E1.31 or Artnet commands for the Falcon controller to consume I haven't coded against these standards in the past, but I've very comfortable with low level protocol implementation and I see that there are libraries available, so that doesn't concern me too much.)

I was thinking that I could just tell the Falcon controller that they were normal RGB LEDs. Given how the LED strips work, that should mean that every 4 pixels in the Falcon software correspond to 3 real-life pixels, with the color channels shuffled around a bit. (eg, first Falcon pixel drives RGB of the first physical pixel, second Falcon pixel drives A of the first physical pixel and RG of the second one, etc). So in my player code I can generate my RGBW pattern and then just shuffle up the channels before outputting over E.31 to the Falcon controller.

(The reason I don't mind writing my own player code is that this is for an interactive display that's computed on the fly anyway. My first version of this was a totally hand-rolled system with a Raspberry Pi to generate the patterns (custom Python code) and a Teensy microcontroller with an OctoWS2811 shield to drive the lights. So Falcon controllers and standard protocols seem like a HUGE step up! Both in convenience and scalability to larger and more complex displays.)

But I saw in the feature grid that SK6812 RGBW was explicitly NOT supported by any Falcon controller. Will it work if I am willing to shuffle the channels around as described above?

Thank you all so much for any input or ideas!

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »
The SK6812's use same physical protocol to drive the lights as ws2811 only have extra byte oer pixel for the white. If you use ws2811 and send 4 bytes per pixel via E131 the flacon will drive the SK6812's. You will have to set the pixel count higher than actual count to make Falcon output enough bytes and account for the extra byte per pixel.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline fade

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 01:54:39 PM »
Thank you very much!

Offline nighthawkgraphics

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 05:24:28 PM »
So from this I gather that the v3 is capable of supporting sk6812 RGBW strips. Can anyone confirm this is correct.

I need 120/port (480 channels) over 18 ports (I'll be using an expansion)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 06:33:46 AM »
So from this I gather that the v3 is capable of supporting sk6812 RGBW strips. Can anyone confirm this is correct.

I need 120/port (480 channels) over 18 ports (I'll be using an expansion)

From David Pitts answer above (and he should certainly know), you just need to "cheat" a little on the numbers.
Instead of saying 120 for pixel count (360 channels), set it for 160 pixel count to get the 480 channels you need.
That will get you the correct output.

The software driving it is now officially your problem. :)

Offline nighthawkgraphics

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 03:06:14 PM »
From David Pitts answer above (and he should certainly know), you just need to "cheat" a little on the numbers.
Instead of saying 120 for pixel count (360 channels), set it for 160 pixel count to get the 480 channels you need.
That will get you the correct output.

The software driving it is now officially your problem. :)

The software is the easy bit ;).

Good information, I was thrown by the fact that there isn't a RGBW profile already in the software (from what I could see from the manual).

I was wary of upscaling the number of Pixels as I would have thought that the software would still see the first 3 channels as the first pixel and not the first 4 meaning that you'd fall out of sync after the first pixel:

Pixel number:                         1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 3
Channel relates to in software: r g b  r g b  r g b
Chanel relates to on chip:        r g b  r g b  r g b

However with a rgbw chip you run the risk of:

Pixel number:                         1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3
Channel relates to in software: r g b  r g b  r g b r g b
Chanel relates to on chip:        r g b  w r g  b wr g b w

Does this make sense?

If the solution to this is to literally just run the pixel length as 4 channels a pixel then its fine, but I was unsure as to if the firmware on the board played around with the straight artnet addressing of those pixels.

Has anyone got a working test of this or the ability to video a quick test for me?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 03:09:23 PM »
Oh, just try it. I think you'll find the board doesn't care. Those boards that require you to use 510 for a universe might care, but not the Falcon products. They care about channel #