Author Topic: Colorado Lighting Enthusiast meeting scheduled for Feb 22 from 9 am to 9pm  (Read 4789 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
I was able to reserve the same rooms at the South Metro Fire Rescue Headquarters located at 9195 E Mineral Avenue; Centennial, CO 80112 on the lower level for Feb 22 from 9am to 9 pm. Enter the front door and take the elevators down to the basement level. Classrooms will be down the hall to the right. Plenty of room, full kitchen available if we need it. Screen with hookups for your laptop.

I scheduled the whole day, not knowing for sure what we needed. I can adjust once we decide more on what is happening. My thought was to open with some free time to mingle and put names and faces together. About 1000 or so, I thought it would be nice to have a time to review and talk about next years plans. Next is up to everyone else. We could be done, arrange for some kind of training, demo, swap meet, etc. Bring a project you are having trouble with and find some help.

I think for myself, I want to set up my raspberry pi, FPD, a F-16 with pixels & some DMX stuff and make sure I can get it all to work together.

Please speak up about what you want to do, it is not my group and we all have something to offer.
Brian

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
Thanks FireMedic for organizing this event. This is going to be a great day. I am willing to go over some of the developments related to the Falcon Pi Player.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Hi Brian; we can do what we did last year.
I can speak about nutcracker, build a sequence from a song and audacity markings. following me Dave can present the pi player. this way he can play the sequence i just built.

i can also talk about future changes coming to the nutcracker.

i will bring my yard borders, maybe my arches that were on top of the fence, new candles i built.

maybe someone can share HLS or Vixen 3 or Vixen+ experiences?

thanks
sean
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
I'd suggest doing things in a chronological order - similar to what Sean suggested.  Maybe the theme for the first part of the day is "How to have a light show before lunch"

Intro to Holiday Lighting
-brief overview of hardware, configurations and networks

Nutcracker Overview
-mark up a song
-generate effects
-export to FSEQ
-Overview of 2014 Nutcracker

Pi Player Overview
-how to import a sequence
-schedule sequence
-play sequence
-Overview of 2014 Pi

I personally enjoy seeing what elements people are building and how they use them from a synchronized sequencing perspective.  Maybe we could share best of videos, or techniques on sequencing - and since we'll be at a fire department - how to safely incorporate pyrotechnics into a display (kidding - sort of.)

I'd love to spend a 1/2 day-day on Vixen+, but I don't know everyone in attendance would be interested in that.  I won't be using Vixen 3 since using routines has been eliminated.

Last August I felt there was a lot of great information, but my favorite part was the show and tell/mingling.  Honestly, I had severe creative block last year until the meeting - I pulled a lot of ideas and inspiration from attending.

That's my $.02!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:05:02 AM by mms »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
Mms
That part about fire was pretty funny.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Offline Kevin

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 0
    • Colorado Christmas
Maybe have 1 or 2 major topics that is part of the gathering in the morning, and then have smaller breakout sessions in the afternoon for things like Vixen, LOR, LSP, Build Items, and other more indepth  tutorials on the major topics.  This would provide for more hands on and less lecture type environment.  And if we have a build topic the notice can go out soon enough so people can bring their own supplies and go home with a completed or near completed project.

Just a thought
-------------------------
Kevin
Colorado Christmas

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
Maybe have 1 or 2 major topics that is part of the gathering in the morning, and then have smaller breakout sessions in the afternoon for things like Vixen, LOR, LSP, Build Items, and other more indepth  tutorials on the major topics.  This would provide for more hands on and less lecture type environment.  And if we have a build topic the notice can go out soon enough so people can bring their own supplies and go home with a completed or near completed project.

Just a thought

+1

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member

Just a thought

+2

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
I assume no web cam feed of the event? I'll send virtual muffins. :-)
Ryan

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
I won't be able to attend but thanks for doing this !

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
Re: Colorado Lighting Enthusiast meeting scheduled for Feb 22 from 9 am to 9pm
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »
I believe there was a web cam feed for at least part of last years meeting.  Sean had it set up like one of his Nutcracker tutorials.   Not sure if they will do it again this year.

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »
There was a feed but reached capacity and someone piggybacked on a laptop. 

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, perhaps we should decide how often we want to meet this year and come up with a strategy to cover all of the topics. When I posted, I was thinking more of a social type of event where we could discuss our successes and failures of 2013 as well as discuss our plans for the coming year. I really did not think people would be ready to dig in this early in the season. With that said, I have already jumped in with both feet and am ready to go.

For February I propose:
    Intro
    Nutcracker - tailored to the audiences level of expertise
    Falcon - tailored to the audience (I can tell you already I am the lowest denominator and need from the ground up)
    Lunch / Mingle / Show and Tell
    2013 review / 2014 planning

For May
    Intro
    Software review - Vixen / LOR / LSP
    Hardware review - DLA / LOR / Renard / J1Sys / Mr. Christmas
    Lunch / Mingle / Show and Telle
    Planning questions / issues
    Make and Take

Same format for August and November.

Make and takes can be just about anything. I am interested in making some realistic looking tombstones for Halloween, the fireburst from the Cabella's fish habitat and PEX, Weber trees, a PVC poseable figure, Nutcracker models, set up audio equipment to record custom voice overs.

Let's collectively decide how often to meet and how much we want to try and accomplish each time. I am afraid if we don't have a plan, it will be information overload each time and not enough time spent on each topic.

Just my two cents. Speak up and let's come up with a schedule that meets everyone's needs.

Brian

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2014, 04:34:29 AM »
Keep it to the room and expand in May if requires. I understand the social aspect and forgot about the true reason for the meet up.

You are very fortunate to have such a talented group of like minded people in the area!

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 08:04:29 AM »
I really enjoy meeting the locals enthusiasts and finding out the basics about them, their show, location, what they have done and/or plan to do.   Also what they want to learn more about or share with others.   You can quickly get very focused on one topic that's either good or not really relevant to you.    I for one think we should all go around the room and give each person maybe 5-10 minutes to introduce themselves to the local group.   Then when we break up you might have a better idea who you want to talk to more in a smaller group.