Author Topic: New BBB image - take 2. BBGW/BBBW support, new Octroscroller code, etc...  (Read 17104 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 76
  I need some folks that would like to test a new image for the various Beaglebone devices.    I just uploaded a new SD image to:

http://dankulp.com/bbb

As of right now, the latest image is the bbb-fpp-20170814.zip file.   This image is VERY different than the previous images provided by Chris for the Beaglebone controllers.   Some of the changes:
  • This is based on the very latest "IoT" image from beaglebone.org.   It's completely updated to the latest kernels, drivers, packages, etc...
  • Because of (1), it fully supports the Beaglebone Black, Beaglebone Green, Beaglebone Black Industrial (red board), Beaglebone Black Wireless, and Beaglebone Green Wireless.
  • It has all the latest "tethering" things enabled to make it easier to setup and configure, particularly for the wireless controllers.   For the wired controllers, by default it will use DHCP to get an IP address.   For the wireless controllers, it cannot do that as it doesn't have information for the WIFI network.  There are two ways to configure that information:
    • Power it via a USB port on your computer.   The USB gadget stuff should allow your computer to pull an IP address via the USB port.  (this normally takes about 3-4 minutes as it waits for other options to timeout)  Then use your browser to browse to http://192.168.6.2 (MAC/Linux) or http://192.168.7.2 (Windows) which should be the normal FPP site and configure like normal.  (note:  this method works for the "wired" versions as well)
    • After power on, wait a few minutes and then scan for a new WIFI network named "FPP-####" (the last 4 digits are randomish).  Connect to that from your computer using the Wifi password of "Christmas".   Then browse to http://192.168.8.1  .  Configure like normal.   For the wireless controllers, there is now a "Disable BBB Tethering" option on the FPP settings page to turn this off once you have everything configured.
  • Since it's based on the latest image, it also has the latest eMMC flasher.  To flash to the emmc storage, go to the FPP Settings page, hit the "Advanced Settings" , and click on the Flash eMMC button.
Other major changes:
  • It's obviously updated to the latest FPP 1.9 code.
  • New DMX/PixelNet code for F4B/F16B and the two new controllers that are part of the group buy.
  • Brand new Octroscroller code - I completely re-wrote part of the LEDScape library and the PRU code for the Octoscroller.   It should boost the refresh rate signficantly.  I see about double for a full 8x8 setup, but the real boost is on the smaller matrices.   The brightness code is still a bit funky, but you should be able to find a setting that looks pretty good, I hope.   This is still a work in progress, but I'd love it if others could give it a try.   If someone wants to try various things, there are some things that can be "tuned" in the PRU code so we can work on finding some good settings.
  • Yes... I know... I spelled jessie wrong when I created the branch.
There's probably a bunch of other changes and enhancements, but those are the major things.

The zip file contains a single "img" file.  You will need to use something that can write that image to an SD card (that is at least 4GB in size).  I use "ApplePi-Baker".   Once written to the SD card, place it in the BBB and hold down the "Boot switch" button (the button at the other end of the board from the power connections, just above the SD card) and power the BBB.   Keep holding for about 10 seconds.   It should boot off the card.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:56:28 PM by dkulp »
Dan Kulp

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
I have some BBB and BBG I can test with. I'll get to it ver the weekend.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
Loaded, worked!
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 76

The "BBB Tethering" option seems to not be appearing on the BBGW.   I've just pushed a fix for that.  You'll have to hit the "manual update" button if you need/want it.  :)

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
It's alive  8)

dkulp   Thanks for the Great work!!
Jerry Plak

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
I flashed mine to the Emmc as well! it is alive!

Offline Blickensderfer

• Kudos: 3
I'll test with 2 BBG Rev 2 and see if the fppd service stays running when I configure the f4-b.

Dan Blickensderfer

Offline Blickensderfer

Install was a snap.  No issues configuring the F4-B and keeping the settings and fppd starting up every time.  I do get the error "Failed to save reboot flag setting." when you click on the reboot button at the bottom of the page.

Offline Griz

I know very little about my BBB but I was able to get everything configured and flashed to the eMMC.  I added my BBB WiFi dongle, have it connected to my network, and Xlights is going to town setting up my network config, sequences, and audio files to the newly formatted micro SD card - got to love that "FPP Upload" button. 

I tried getting my BBB to work a few weeks ago and this is already working so much better.  Thanks for working on this!

Offline Blickensderfer

I was testing some more and after fpp is on the emmc and I put in a fresh new microSD and I tried to config the BBB F4-B settings.  I was getting a failed to save.  I checked and made sure the fpp settings was set to use the microSD and reboot a couple of times.  no go.  I took out the sd card and looked at the directories from the computer and noticed that it was missing directories.  one of them was the "config"  I created it and placed it back in the BBG and tried to make the settings for the F4-B and this time it saved.  I was thinking that on boot up fpp made sure all directories were created.

Dan

Offline Griz

With this update,  would it be easier to integrate triggers into the show? I've been struggling to integrate push button switches and motion sensors using the raspi gpio pins.  There has to be an easier way.

Offline Griz

Running into a few issues now.

I can create playlists, but I cannot add any files to those playlists.  Songs or sequences.

Also, the BBB is only updating from XLights "FPP Connect" function.   I cannot add music or sequences to the File Manger from drag/drop in Windows Explorer.  I rebooted to the system to see if that would resolve it, but nothing so far.

If it helps I have flashed the system to the eMMC. 

Any advice?

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member

I can create playlists, but I cannot add any files to those playlists.  Songs or sequences.

Also, the BBB is only updating from XLights "FPP Connect" function.   I cannot add music or sequences to the File Manger from drag/drop in Windows Explorer.  I rebooted to the system to see if that would resolve it, but nothing so far.

Any advice?
Have you reformat your SD card? If so see if mounted and selected as your storage device!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member

Any advice?
Have you reformat your SD card? If so see if mounted and selected as your storage device!!

I did flashed the system to the eMMC.  then reformat the SD drive card and mounted and selected as my storage device

Offline Griz

Same. Formatted before I tried.  I've even tried adding a thumb drive with a usb hub. I can add files to three eMMC, microsd, and thumb drive,  but only through xlights.  None ood these options add files to playlists.