Author Topic: Hardware advice for 2018  (Read 807 times)

Offline txag2008

• Kudos: 0
Hardware advice for 2018
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »
I've attached a picture of the layout for my 2017 display. All pixels are 12v with no power injection. For 2018 I'm looking to add 2 Boscoyo 4' flakes with 222nodes each. I'm trying to think through the simplest/most cost effective solution.

Flake #1 would be ~25' from my FPP & F16V1
Flake #2 would be ~50' from my FPP & F16v1

Here's a few options I've thought of:
  • Install an Afterburner on my F16v1 to be able to control the flakes at the longer distances. Since each port can only handle 170 pixels, it'd take 4 ports for the flakes. I'd have to group some of my megatree strings (currently 100 pixels/port) and power inject as needed.
  • Use a PiCap to control each flake. The # of nodes per output wouldn't be an issue, but I'm assuming the distances would be a problem.

Thoughts?

It would simplify things if I just used the 126node 4' star, but for now I'm trying to figure out how to make the 222 node flake work.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
Re: Hardware advice for 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:44:44 PM »
I've attached a picture of the layout for my 2017 display. All pixels are 12v with no power injection. For 2018 I'm looking to add 2 Boscoyo 4' flakes with 222nodes each. I'm trying to think through the simplest/most cost effective solution.

Flake #1 would be ~25' from my FPP & F16V1
Flake #2 would be ~50' from my FPP & F16v1

Here's a few options I've thought of:
  • Install an Afterburner on my F16v1 to be able to control the flakes at the longer distances. Since each port can only handle 170 pixels, it'd take 4 ports for the flakes. I'd have to group some of my megatree strings (currently 100 pixels/port) and power inject as needed.
  • Use a PiCap to control each flake. The # of nodes per output wouldn't be an issue, but I'm assuming the distances would be a problem.

Thoughts?

It would simplify things if I just used the 126node 4' star, but for now I'm trying to figure out how to make the 222 node flake work.

Each Pi and hat combo is $90-95 factoring in an sd card and USB stick.  Assuming you would buy 2 for that distance it is $180+.  I would rather get an F4 expansion board and 1 receiver for $159. You could also go with Dan Kulps F8 for the Beagle boards plus a receiver.  Assuming his pocket beagle version you would be in for about $110. With the BBB instead it would be closer to $150. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
You are running much closer to capacity than I ever would.  I am not that lucky.  I would definitely do another F16.  Probably a v3 to eliminate the 2nd PN run from FPD.  I'd try and run all the flakes from 1 and mega from the other. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline txag2008

• Kudos: 0
Hardware advice for 2018
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
Zwiller, are you referring to capacity of the controllers (# of ports being used) or capacity of available power?  Either way, yes I am running pretty close.

My view of my display is that it's in "coasting mode" where it's been running great for 2-3 years and everything is easy to setup and get working.  Each year I incrementally add small elements. Last year it was the beth star & 24" flakes, for 2018 I want to add the larger flakes.

I know that adding a F16v3 with differential expansion possibilities would solve my issue, I'm just trying to think of all possible opportunities to utilize what I have or add to at minimal cost/effort. I think a lot of the bells & whistles of the v3 would be wasted.  I'm all about keeping things simple (which is why I try and stay away from power injection if at all possible).

This hobby for me isn't about being on the cutting edge and always switching up the architecture. I realize there are many that love doing that and I think it's great and wish I had the time/money to invest, but unfortunately I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:33:45 AM by txag2008 »

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:28:28 AM »
I am with ya on all points (especially the $$$  ;D), but no controller is beyond 50% used.  4 v1s and 2 hubs...  I get it.  If it ain't broke...   You are gonna have to get really creative to come up with extra room.  I am pretty much against PI but that looks to be the only way to pull it off cheap.  Maybe PI the existing flakes on F16v1 and that frees up 2 ports and use them and also PI the new flakes.   Cost is wire only.  OR maybe daisy chain the aethers and that  frees up the 4 port if you have more SSC.  I have some 4 ports if you want them.  Might need fuses tho... 

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
The only downside with doing this is the eggs in the basket issue.  The more demand you put on a singe device, the more that stops working if it fails.  I know full well that we all need to stay within a budget, but being too frugal can lead to large failures with no way to recover in time.  Sometimes it's better to skip out on a prop one year and use the money to upgrade or increase the number of controllers.  I had a SSC fail on me this year but since I have a few extras, it was a 10 minute repair and all was well again.  Now, about those 4 port hubs....