Author Topic: LOR / Falcon Interoperability  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Griz

• Kudos: 3
LOR / Falcon Interoperability
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »
Looking at a pretty massive setup with about 25 LOR controllers and a dozen or so falcon devices and I'm trying to decide the best way to set this up. 

Is there a max number of lor controllers a falcon can control from the serial port?

If the lor controllers are in dmx mode, can you go from falcon serial port to LOR, then back to falcon?

Would it be best to keep LOR and falcon networks separate?

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 10
Re: LOR / Falcon Interoperability
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
The Falcon boards are E1.31 and they're run from the ethernet port on your computer or a pi. The Lor controllers are in no way compatible with plugging into this network they must be plugged into the serial Port outputs on the Falcon those are the three RJ45 jacks on the right side of the board if you're using a v3. I want to make sure you're clear that the falcon does not run from a Serial port.

Offline Griz

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 07:51:45 PM »
Yeah I'm very clear on that point. I've ran a handful of LOR from my F16v2 but never this many.   My question is really about max number of controllers.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
You got me when you said then back to Falcon. I think you could run all 25 controllers from one serial port but why put all of your eggs in one basket.

Offline Griz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:04:56 PM »
 Understand your point there.  It's really about the geographic separation - pretty big show.  I saw some other posts talking about max 96 channels from a serial port but nothing seemed definitive.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:09:40 PM »
I think the real problem comes in with all the wires and connections going through all the controllers. I think in theory you could do 25 controllers but the real life situation is going to be completely different.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:49 PM »
I know there is guys running a lot of controllers, probably more than 25, but once you start doing that you have to start worrying about putting a snubber at the end of the line to help maintain the signal integrity.  You have to also consider the length of wire you have between the controllers.

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
The LOR website claims you can hook up 240 controllers to one LOR Network. At 25 controllers your at 400 channels which is within one DMX universe so it should work . Hopefully somebody will chime in who's actually done it. 

Offline Griz

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »
Do you think that's the point of concern - One universe?

There's a chance there could be more than 25.

I have my falcon hooked up to 2 LOR boxes now.  I'm learning that the controller id # plays a huge part.  For example, you cannot jump controller numbers.  They must be connected sequentially.  Still goofing off but that's what I have for now.

I really appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »
The LOR boxes in DMX mode or even in LOR mode do not have to be sequencial in order on the wire. Box 1 can then be connected to box 5, which then goes to box 7 and then to box 2.
The same signal is passed down the entire wire and each box just pulls off the wire the channels that it needs to listen to.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline koehlerg

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 09:33:44 PM »
I ran 14 LOR controller last off my F16v2 all in one DMX universe #1. I use a line terminator John Storms has a video on and the little lag I had at the end LOR's went away. I'm planning on using all 18 LOR's this year as I can't seem to find a suitable alternative to replace them that isn't $$$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slinger, WI

Offline Griz

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:47 PM »
All great info.  I'm going to try updating the firmware of my controllers then,  Ben - Thank you. With that in mind,  could yoh mix a falcon in middle?  Go falcon, lor, falcon,  5x lor?

@koehlerg - we're those 14 all from one serial port off of a falcon?

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 10:00:04 PM »
A falcon has to receive E131 or Artnet data.  I do no believe any LOR controllers will output or even pass on this type of data, so no, you cannot go from a LOR controller back to a falcon.

Offline koehlerg

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 09:44:36 AM »
Yes all of them from one RS-485 port on the F16v2. You need a special cross over cable from the falcon to the first LOR. Then I needed the terminator I made per John Storm video at the last one. I will pull out all 18 of LOR controllers in the next week and test them all connected. I couldn't much past 10 LORs without a bit or a lag without the terminator on the last LOR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk