Author Topic: Ron's Pi Hat Matrix  (Read 3521 times)

Offline kennylights

• Kudos: 2
Ron's Pi Hat Matrix
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:44 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with this? I had a spare PI laying around and I purchased a few of these to mess around with and try P5 panels too. I am definitely a rookie when soldering a board, i usually buy then already built. I figured, since I had a few extras, why not try it. I soldered it and it didn't blow up or let the secret smoke out so I think mostly, it is good. testing and configuring seems to be eluding me. I would think it should be the same as a BBB with the octoscroller and some P10 panels. I think I do remember something about it not "officially" working on the Pi3's, but confirmation is something I cannot find. I am trying to power with a simple 20 watt 5 volt power supply and one panel and I am getting nothing. Anyone with any insight? Let me know what you want to see and I will supply pictures or screenshots to help.

Offline jeremy0203

• Kudos: -5
Re: Ron's Pi Hat Matrix
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 12:36:34 PM »
Pictures of the board, back of panel and setup pages in fpp

Offline kennylights

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 01:12:28 PM »
I will post them individually. but here goes.

Board first then setup screens.

First soldered board so be gentle, but be straight. I can take it!

Offline kennylights

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »
part 2

Offline kennylights

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »
setup part 1

Offline kennylights

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
Setup Part 2

Offline TNF250

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 01:49:20 PM »
You are using out3 from the board to your panel, correct? I would recommend pulling the chips and re-flowing the solder. There are a few solder points that are somewhat not fully soldered.
Zane
Springfield, TN

X-Lights - RPi3 - FPP - Falcon - DLA Lynx

Offline kennylights

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:22 PM »
I had thought about that as well, but it doesn't work on any of the three outputs. If I showed some sort of output on at least one output i would question the solder joints and use it as reference but being as none of them work i must question all of the solder joints.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 03:54:03 PM »
Universes for P10 panels should always be 512, not 510. This isn't why it's not lighting but will cause cofig issues down the line.

A 32x16 P10 is 3 universes. Always.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:02:57 PM by JonB256 »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »
If your solder station is adjustable, bump the temp up a bit. You aren't getting great flow into the joints and leaving solder tails as you pull away the tip. Many unfilled thru-holes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 04:33:10 PM »
Cleaning up the solder joints with a toothbrush and either methylated spirits or isopropyl alcohol will allow you to see what is going on with the joints better without the flux residue potentially hiding dry joints. As Jon said there's definitely some dry joints on a couple of the IC's. Having a look over a high res photo of the board after cleaning it can show up any problems with joints.

I had thought about that as well, but it doesn't work on any of the three outputs. If I showed some sort of output on at least one output i would question the solder joints and use it as reference but being as none of them work i must question all of the solder joints.

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »
In your setup you have both panels set up for the third output is that what you actually physically have it connected to? Also in your setup you have bottom-left selected you need top left. And like was said before you need to set everything to 512 channels and I also saw some big gaps in your solder joints.
If you're trying to test it from xlights you'll need to set it up in bridge mode and make sure that you're universes match xlights.  If the pi is receiving data you'll see the packet numbers changing on the status page.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:16:23 PM by Ebuechner »

Offline TNF250

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
He is using a P5 which I believe you have to setup for 2 panels or does it need setup for 1 - 32x32?

Offline kennylights

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 06:27:58 AM »
I will try to rehit all the solder points and see what that does for me. As far as what output and panel configuration..... I'm not even to that point yet (I think). I tried each of the three outputs independently, the screenshot was just from the last time I tried it and the pictures were most likely from another time I tried things. I even tried one panel per output to see if anything changed and nothing. So actual setup will most likely not be an issue, I have a few different P10 BBB octoscroller setups that worked right away and I have setup so not a stranger to the setup in that realm, just looking now to get into the P5 panels and need the PI setup with the refresh rate to make that happen.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 06:45:13 AM »
Kenny, I am running P5s using Ron's Matrix adapter board.  After you clean up the physical part of the board I can help you with configuring it.  I had my P5 matrix at the expo and I still have not put things back in the shop since I got back as my wife had surgery yesterday, but will be back home later this morning.  Maybe I can catch up soon.  I hope.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5