Author Topic: Ron's Pi Hat Matrix  (Read 3513 times)

Offline kennylights

• Kudos: 2
Re: Ron's Pi Hat Matrix
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
SUCCESS!!!! I have lights!! Definitely was the solder joints. Thanks Guys. Now on to configuring things I have 8 p5 panels to play with, more if I can get them from Ebay from the same guy. When it comes to setup, I may lean on you Jnealand, we will see. I have played with the P10 panels in different configurations I will try to locate the pictures

Offline kennylights

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 07:54:55 AM »
P5 panels working!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Offline kennylights

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
Here is the topic where I made a 3d cube last year. It has links to videos, layout in xlights and setup in FPP.

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,5747.0.html

Offline kennylights

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:28 AM »
Here is a portable sign I made for our Boy Scout Pack to use in Parades and various events.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »
When I saw the sign I immediately thought of Grayslake Il so I looked up area code 847 as seen on the van and sure enough that was it.  I moved to Atlanta in 1990 from Naperville, IL.

Glad you have the panels working.  Here is a short nothing fancy demo that I took to the Christmas Expo.  The product pictures came out pretty good.

https://youtu.be/JKAPYYW98uM
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline kennylights

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:30 PM »
Yes, Jim. That is the correct Grayslake. We are actually in Hainesville which is the neighbor to Grayslake. That sign tends to get a lot of attention. The Cube I made was just a fun project.

Quick question on the Pi hat, can I use a Pi face RTC? I think I read somewhere that the pins used for the matrix are the pins for the RTC. I know on the Falcon F2 PiCAP (v1.00) there is a built in RTC, but the audio output is missing because of the use on the GPIO pins. Is this the case for the Pi Hat Matrix as well? Reason I ask is that with the BBB and Octoscroller portable items I made, the RTC is needed to run the program, without an RTC and no internet connection the time reverts back to something other then the current time.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
I set my schedule to run from 00:00:00 to 23:59:59 or something like that.  As long as you have a schedule defined like that and the playlist set to repeat it will play as soon as you power on and the boot process finishes.  When I'm done, I just turn the power off.  I have a 10400 mah cell phone battery hooked up and it will drive the pi and the panels all day.  I use it with my model railroad club during train shows.

Offline kennylights

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »
OK Jim, This is extremely weird. Again, I am lost in setting up the panels. here is the screenshot of the setup. Pretty simple 32X32 p5 panels setup with output (for now) 1 plugged into the bottom row and output 2 plugged into the top row. All arrows are pointing up on the panels. they are plugged successfully from each others output into the next input.it is treating all panels as though they are 8 smaller panels in a 4 high by 2 wide (as seen in the other attached pictures)

Offline kennylights

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
Here is what the screens display. That is supposed to be the butterfly effect.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
I think you have to configure as though it is a 6x2.

Here is the info I got from Capt Murdock
"That looks like a 64x64 panel and the back of it looks like it is actually two 64x32 panels.  You should setup that as four 32x32 panels with two on the top row and two on the bottom.  The two left/right on a row are connected internally as one 64x32 panel but FPP will see each "row" as two 32x32 panels side by side."

I only have two of the square type P5s, but here is my config below.  My output 2 is not working which is why I am using 1 and 3.