Author Topic: stranded or solid data wire issue  (Read 1924 times)

Offline mrgimmeone

• Kudos: 0
Re: stranded or solid data wire issue
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »
3 pin waterproof pigtails. if i add another ground wire to the extra blue wire from the 1st pixel the flickering mostly stops. except on 100% brightness. i thought you would need more ground wire than power.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
What version of e682 firmware are you using?

Offline mrgimmeone

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
5.023 on all 4 of them. and i've tested all pigtails connected and unconnected for voltage coming through. and i'm using pure copper wire only. no copper clad garbage.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »
Have you tried adjusting the timing of the 2811?  Off the top of my head,  i needed to adjust to  400 or 450 ns timing on some strings for them to work reliably.  This adjustment is on the first page of the v5 firmware.
Something else to consider is that 160 might be too long of a string and you may need to inject power to the far end of the string.

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
In all the different forms I've been on and heard people talking about the e682 there's been one common problem I've heard is that it won't transmit data very far.
I really think the uamp is what you need.

Offline mrgimmeone

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »
well i'm testing my solid and stranded mix cabling verses the cat5 wired as you suggested and at 25% they all work fine (9' stranded and solid, 7' cat5, and 3' stranded only on all) now at 50% the cat5 will flicker at 7'.

Offline Ryanssking

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 06:47:33 PM »
My first thought is to make sure all things related to the wire are being eliminated.

Did you try a different stranded wire piece?  Different connectors?  Etc?

As I recall the WS28xx chipsets use PWM at 1Mhz.  In theory the low amperage should allow nearly any wire.  However the way PWM works is by mixing timing with the signal.  So the clock is embedded into the 1, 0, and null code.  Meaning signal corruption is a major issue.  Stranded wire could be causing cross talk.

A good way to test would be to run a totally different power cable and use your stranded that wasn't working as a data only, just the one strand out of 3.  If it works with the power traveling in another cable farther away it's an issue of cross talk.  Stranded wire introduces more of it than solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline danj

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »
I am no longer using E682s, but I have gotten good distance with the ones I used; about 30' longest lead no null pixels, using cat5 cable in the "standard" config I have read about here or at DIYC---all solid twisted together for ground/-, striped blue/grn/brn twisted together for +, and striped org for data