Author Topic: Am I looking in the right place  (Read 710 times)

Offline Hipsi

• Kudos: 0
Am I looking in the right place
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:34:31 PM »
To give a brief background I have been playing with single colour P10's for quite a while using arduinos, with displays of up to 3w x 3h.   I haven't been displaying graphics per se, only text.  I'd really like to step it up with full colour and graphics etc and I'm really excited by what I see on this forum.  I was initially looking to learn FPGA's etc, but it seems physically on here all I need is a BBB and Octoscroller, along with FPP. 
What I'd really like to know however and I haven't found the answer after searching quite a bit, is can you display dynamic text without scrolling it?  ie, what I currently do is send UART strings to my arduino controller and it displays it on the screen (not moving) until it receives another input, I guess much like a digital scoreboard.  Is this a possibility with FPP?  Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree here or if I should get myself a BBB and an RGB panel and start playing. 
Extending on from this I would love to be able to somewhat zone the screen and display an image on one part, and my dynamic text on a different part, or would this be better done by creating an image with a blank area and overlay the text on that portion?  Again, I'm presuming this is possible, please tell me if I'm dreaming.

Online AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Am I looking in the right place
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 11:02:49 PM »
You can alternately use FPP, a Pi and 1 of the P10 capes like my rPi-P10 which is a cheaper option. The text will remain static after it is sent to the BBB/Pi if it is used in bridge mode. You can zone a P10 matrix with Xlights and have different bits displaying different stuff. Static or scrolling is controlled by what is sent to FPP. There may be scripts that allow for numbers to be sent to FPP rather than raw matrix data.