Author Topic: Rethinking power setup  (Read 1173 times)

Offline PeteyHall

• Kudos: 3
Rethinking power setup
« on: July 29, 2017, 11:40:59 AM »
Traditionally I've placed a 350W P/S in each Cg1500 with whatever controllers are needed.  That was fine when I had just 2-3 controller boxes on the front lawn but now that I'm looking to have over 12 different cg1500s' with controllers (e.g. f16v3's, picaps, remote expansion boards, etc.), I don't know if I want to keep using that original architecture.

I'm wondering if I should just buy a bunch of 600W power supplies, keep them in a central location, and run long 14/2 to each of the cases to power them up.  Anyone have thoughts on this?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: Rethinking power setup
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »
I've powered 2 or even 3 controllers from a single power supply box, located to reduce wire length.

14/2 is a good choice for most runs. You just need to be aware of both peak and average amperage.

Offline Dennis Laff

• Kudos: 2
  • Retired Machinist
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 04:54:32 PM »
I think its better to have many power supplys one big one goes bad your show is down .

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 05:12:52 PM »
More power supplies and less wire is the way to go, Long cable runs cause lots of grief. I'm currently at 12 enclosures each with at least 1 350/400W supply. I will probably add another 4 or so this year.

Offline lwillisjr

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »
I put powers supplies strategically placed near groups of my show elements and I inject power there.

Offline PeteyHall

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 06:40:29 PM »
I put powers supplies strategically placed near groups of my show elements and I inject power there.
This was my new thinking as well but it sounds like others are advising against this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
Well all the responses you have here seem to be advocating to stay with multiple PS.  I would vote that way too.  I like my power supplies and controllers near the props.  In fact I now put a Pi with each controller and run them all as slaves.  No labyrinth of data cables in my yard.  And I daisy chain (where possible) my AC power cables to minimize those lengths.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline PeteyHall

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 08:19:27 PM »
Well all the responses you have here seem to be advocating to stay with multiple PS.  I would vote that way too.  I like my power supplies and controllers near the props.  In fact I now put a Pi with each controller and run them all as slaves.  No labyrinth of data cables in my yard.  And I daisy chain (where possible) my AC power cables to minimize those lengths.

Between the v3's wireless (when ready) and the pi's I have for my v2's, the only cat 5 cable I need to run is between the v3's and the remote expansion boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk