Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3B LCD screen  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Yamr6rider

• Kudos: 2
  • Here we go!
Raspberry Pi 3B LCD screen
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:55:17 AM »
Question for the field:

Have any of you tried the little screens 3.5" - 5" for the Pi in your controller cabinet setup?  I'd like to see the prompt screen and make sure the software loaded properly.  I'd also like to confirm the IP(s) that I programmed in, but obviously don't have room in the cabinet for a full-size computer screen.  If so, can you post some pictures and/or suggestions?
Jon

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: Raspberry Pi 3B LCD screen
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 07:28:58 PM »
Most folks that have tried them will probably tell you it is not worth the effort.  Even Dave Pitts has called it just a gimmick and I think that is pretty close to his exact words.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »
At one point I said (to myself), "This  sucks. "  That was several years ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 12:58:57 AM »
Question for the field:

Have any of you tried the little screens 3.5" - 5" for the Pi in your controller cabinet setup?  I'd like to see the prompt screen and make sure the software loaded properly.  I'd also like to confirm the IP(s) that I programmed in, but obviously don't have room in the cabinet for a full-size computer screen.  If so, can you post some pictures and/or suggestions?

Reach out to Sean Meighan of Xlights he uses them. He likes them. I think they work good to see what is going on at bootup.

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 05:47:02 AM »
When the PI boots succesfuly, you will hear out the audio jack its IP address. 'I have the following IP ADDRESS........' Connecting a terminal or something else on the same network and ping .10..... and when it is up then go to the web page. You can even use a mobile phone with the application FING that will scan your network for devices ...

YMMV.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline Yamr6rider

• Kudos: 2
  • Here we go!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »
I think they work good to see what is going on at bootup.

I'm thinking the same.  If there's a bootup issue when power is lost requiring reinstallation of NOOBS or anything else, I won't have to guess (because I barely know what I'm doing as it is).

This is what I was thinking: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2232

I can mount it to the lid of the case to view when I open it, or even mount it to face out so I don't even have to open the case!

Here's my case BTW: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T4XL4HM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm hoping to fit my RPI, F16, 3 PSU's, FM transmitter, and maybe my router in it to make an all-in-one

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
Last season I ran 6 pis in a master remote setup.  This year looks like 10 of them.  I have never had a problem with losing power and not being able to know what the problem was or if the Pi was not booting up.  I would rather put my money on more useful things, but every makes their own choices.