Author Topic: pixel display picap  (Read 1318 times)

Offline hellr94

• Kudos: 0
pixel display picap
« on: August 27, 2017, 08:15:03 AM »
I am new to this stuff. I have my picap set up and up and running but I cannot figure how how to make a show. Id like to display images and scroll messages. What do I need to do to accomplish this?

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: pixel display picap
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
To display images and text you'll need to build up a pixel matrix or else a fairly high density pixel tree. The other option is to go with P10 panels off a BBB and octoscrolla/octoscroller or a Pi and rpi-P10 or 1 of the other P10 boards for the Pi.

Offline hellr94

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:48:55 AM »
maybe i made this a bit confusing to understand. I have a 500 light or so pixel display build and a pi with a pi cap installed on it. what I am not understanding how to do is make images and messages scroll how do add it to falcon player I believe im running on the pi?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »
I make images and messages move using xLights software. It creates a binary file (fseq extension) that FPP can easily output

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:36:50 PM »
maybe i made this a bit confusing to understand. I have a 500 light or so pixel display build and a pi with a pi cap installed on it. what I am not understanding how to do is make images and messages scroll how do add it to falcon player I believe im running on the pi?

Are you wanting to make adhoc (on the fly) messages, or planned in the sequence?  If they are planned, just do them in your sequencer.  Once you have the show the way you want it, do what is necessary to make the .fseq file (In xLights it is already made during render. In Vixen you run through an export routine.)  Copy the .fseq file and the associated media file to the FpP using the built in upload system.  In the schedule, tell the FpP to run the sequence file (.fpp) and the media file (usually .mp3 - but there are others).

If you want the messages to be from an external source, some of the other guys need to chime in here.

As in most things in this hobby, there are alternate ways to do just about any of the above actions.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline hellr94

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:26:02 AM »
for now I just want to be able to do simple images like jack o lanterns for halloween or just scroll happy holiday etc. I just want it simple.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »
Simple is GOOD. 
Figure out which of the sequencers you like, create your sequence using it, the either play it to your lights or send it to a player - such as the Falcon Player. 

With a smaller display, I'd even go as far as to say use a Picap to feed the pixels (directly off the top of the Pi Player).

Offline hellr94

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 07:07:14 PM »
okay guys I am feeling really dumb right now. I have my pixel board up its 12 x 46 and the picap. everything works. what is the easiest way for me to do something simple like scroll a jack-o-lantern across the screen.  how do I make or find something? then how do I load it to the falcon player?

thanks

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »
Most of the people on this forum use the xLights software to generate the FSEQ files that would have your moving pumpkins.

The xLights forum is at www.xlights.org 

You need to hang out there, now.