Author Topic: Hiding cg1500's  (Read 962 times)

Offline PeteyHall

• Kudos: 3
Hiding cg1500's
« on: July 20, 2017, 06:03:27 AM »
Between what was purchased last year and what's getting purchased this year, my wife is getting concerned that there are going to be cg1500's all over my yard (probably 12 at least).  What do you guys do to 'hide' the cases, taking into account that I'm in the northeast and need to account for snow?  I was hoping to use smaller cases but they won't fit the boards and a power supply and my wife definitely already told me no 'ammo' boxes on the front lawn...

And in case you ask, I have so many cases because I live on a corner and have a really large front/side lawn that's sprawled out and the runs would be too long to safely & reliably run them from a central location.

Thoughts?

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
Re: Hiding cg1500's
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 06:23:38 AM »
You could make a box that looks like a Christmas gift to slip over the cg1500. I don't revive as much snow here in NC so I paint them forest green and put a red bow on them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 07:39:45 AM »
I either put them up against the house or try to hide them behind props like the pole of my mega tree or behind my nativity scene in the yard.  Otherwise, I don't worry about it because if you have enough stuff (sounds like you do), the eyes naturally overlook the grey boxes and focus on the props during the daytime and at night, it's dark so rarely scene.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »
The grey boxes are not noticeable at night.  Like Mark I try to put them behind props if possible.  I put a piece of wire thru the standoffs on the back Use (galvanized wire) and hang them on a short piece of fence post.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 05:15:14 AM »
I spray paint mine flat black with $.99 spray cans from Home Depot and just mount them on the shorter green fence posts to keep them above the snow, painted the same flat black. Holds up well and you can just touch up as needed. They are almost invisible at night.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:00:03 AM »
Like Jim, I make the sun go down after 6pm so you can't see them. No paint. I don't have any on poles, either, just flat on the ground but perhaps angled a little to promote water runoff. I'm in North Texas, so snow isn't a common problem but rain can be. I watch for flow paths along wiring that would lead a stream into my CG boxes.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:56:58 AM »
Send them to me and I'll hide them for you. I have about 12 boxes out in my 1/2 acre front yard already and expect to add another 4 or 5 this year as I add some more pixels.